New Expert At The High School..Autism etc.

DDD

Over the years many of you know I have been exploring and
advocating. difficult child (the now 16 year old ADHD etc.) is a high
functioning AS according to DDD, MD. :smirk: The school has been including "social skills" on the IEP since I got the first one in 4th grade and there is NO "social skills"
training around here. Thanks to the Board and my research I
have helped him along...but he still does not blend well.

This month the high school bulletin announced a new teacher
with 18 years experience in disability education. I called
and left a message on his voice mail asking him to call me
"at his convenience". He called back the same day and we
had a meaningful conversation.

The two interesting aspects were these. He does not believe
there is much to be done at this stage that I'm not doing.
His experience makes him believe that the social problems will not be a big issue in adulthood like it can be during
the school years. (Makes sense to me.) The other idea is
that I emphasize "self-advocacy" by providing articles and
books to difficult child so he is fully informed. (Also makes sense.)

It was really nice to speak to an intelligent, caring adult
in our community. That was the highlight of my week. DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
Go Warrior Mom! :warrior: Not that I have much experience with a truly accomodating school, but no matter how good the schools are in following IEP's, it's still sooo nice to have someone on board that actually knows what they are talking about. My girlfriend was up for a VP position at our local HS and I was over the moon at the prospect. Not because it's a friend and knows difficult child's issues but because her background was as a special needs teacher and I think our administration really needs that. She didn't get it though so we both had a joint mini-hissy over it but the thought was great.

Good job!!!!!!! :bravo: And here's to a wonderful relationship between you, other difficult child parents and this person! :smile:

On_Call

Great post! Sounds like someone with a handle on things! Good for you!!

Now, let's hope the guy sticks around a bit!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Of course I am thrilled for you D3, but the BEST part of your post was how good you sound. It's been such an awful year+ for you, it warms my heart to *hear* a lilt in your voice again.

Hugs,
Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Gee, think the guy could clone himself? I know our sd could sure use him. :hammer: (and none of my kids are in our sd anymore lol)

TYLERFAN

DDD:

Glad you found someone who "gets it". Must be some kinda relief knowing you were doing everything right. Keep up the good work Warrior Grand-Mom!!!! :bravo: :smile: :warrior:

Blessings,
Melissa *

BusynMember

I think it's good to get an advocate, but strongly disagree that social skills with ASers are not a problem in adulthood. I go to a few boards of adult Aspies and that is THE main problem in adulthood. It impacts everything from relationships to jobs, and I'm amazed that he said that. in my opinion that isn't true.

Kathy813

Staff member
DDD,

I now have three Asperger's students who vary widely on the spectrum. I had never even heard of Aspergers just five years ago.

My newest Asperger's student has all the classic signs of the disorder ~ hand flapping, anxiety, literal interpretation of directions. He has a one-to-one parapro with him and is doing great.

I know that they work on social skills in the Asperger's classroom.

I think more and more schools are learning about Autism and are responding by setting up programs like ours. Schools, just like the rest of society, are on a learning curve about Autism and other disorders. Some are further along the curve than others.

~Kathy

DDD

Midwest, I guess I should clarify. I think he meant that in
adulthood there isn't the same type of overwhelming pressure
that is found during the teen years. All teenagers have a
problem or two or ten in high school so it is exaggerated in
AS teens who are aware. Adulthood isn't the answer and does
not bring happiness to all of us but there is a lessening
of intensity that comes with age. My teen is functioning
very well in many areas. I really do believe that he is apt
to hook up with a partner who will offset his weaknesses and
be able to draw on his strengths. How's that for optimistic
for a change? LOL! DDD

KFld

Well I'm not surprised at all that you were told you are doing everything right :smile:
What I was shocked about in the post was that HE'S 16!!! I think he was like 8 when we first met via the internet. Boy does time fly when we are having so much fun!!!!