New Forum - Substance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

DammitJanet

The board has changed the name of the forum Teens and Substance Abuse to just Substance Abuse.

Nancy, DDD, and Kathy813 are the new moderators along with ephchap in that forum.

I just wanted to let everyone here know that the new forum is open to all that wish to discuss issues of substance abuse no matter what age your child is. We felt this would be better because it would keep all those issues in one place for the members both new and old.

If anyone wants me to move their posts from here to that forum just let me know and I will be glad to do it.

klmno

Great idea!

Can someone clarify something for me about the PE? I read that it is for parents of kids who are 18yo AND out of the home, but the heading under the PE title says OR, but then I'm wondering if that only means 18yo or older, whether they are out of the home or not??? Or does it mean parents of kids who are out of the home or over 18, either one?

Kathy813

Staff member
I think it is for parents of kids that are over 18 no matter where they are living. At least, that is how I have always understood it.

klmno

OK- thank you! I wondered if I was over thinking it. LOL!

And congrats to you!!

T

toughlovin

i always thought it was for parents of kids over 18 or whose kids are out of the house and livingon their own. I think the parenting issues change as the kid becomes a legal adult.. and if a kid is living on their own then they will have similar issues. Anyway all that was based on my assumptions....

Kathy813

Staff member
I think many of us have had our difficult child's move in and out of our homes multiple times. I know that I have posted both while she was living at home and when she has been out on her own.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I think many of us have had our difficult child's move in and out of our homes multiple times. I know that I have posted both while she was living at home and when she has been out on her own.

Exactly. The issue for many of us can be how to get them out of the home, and /or keep them out lol.

DammitJanet

This forum was started because of the fact that so many of us had difficult child's that became 18 or so at about the same time and we had all been here for years together. We really didnt want to scare the living daylights out of parents of 6 year olds on general when we talked about prisons, bail, kicking someone out, pregnancy, etc. (Of course those are just the good things!) So we got the wonderful idea to start this forum for those of us with adult kids. We graduated to another forum.

klmno

Uhmmm....does my son count in one of those? LOL!

Yeah, it's a good thing I didn't know what I know now when he was 6 or younger. I sure never saw this coming, but I will say I didn't consider him a difficult child until he hit puberty and developed more reasoning (in some ways) than maturity or emotional control or impulse control.

Steely

I really like this idea...
Matt does not have substance abuse problems, but he has a lot of other problems, so I always felt weird and in the minority posting in PE. So now that we can address the 2 issues separately and in different forums I think it opens up a lot more opportunities for all sorts of conversations about our difficult children.

klmno

Welcome! When a moderator comes along and reads this, they will probably move it to the Substance Abuse Forum as a new thread- that way you can get personalized attnetion to your situation. In the meantime, you can start a thread over there, too and I think it will be fine.

Nancy

Welcome jerlee, please repost your comments in the substance abuse forum. Those of us who have children with substance abuse issues will be happy to answer your questions.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Yes...some folks will be able to post both places too. Kids can have multifaceted issues. Lets face it, our kids arent one size fits all kids.

If you are having issues with Substance abuse you post in that forum. If you are having legal issues or little difficult child is giving you grief (even something wonderful) you can post in PE.

No one is saying that you have to be relegated to one forum only. Its just to make things clearer. We seemed to have turned two forums into Substance abuse forums. This should make things so much easier.

Tiredof33

I wish I had known you all when mine was in his teens. But I am so glad I found you now!!! Thank all of you for taking the time to help strangers, sometimes I don't know how we stay sane!

This forum was started because of the fact that so many of us had difficult child's that became 18 or so at about the same time and we had all been here for years together. We really didnt want to scare the living daylights out of parents of 6 year olds on general when we talked about prisons, bail, kicking someone out, pregnancy, etc. (Of course those are just the good things!) So we got the wonderful idea to start this forum for those of us with adult kids. We graduated to another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.