New Here!

sandman3

Hello everyone,

I am new today and I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am to have found this place!
My difficult child 2 (D)was diagnosed with Autism at 3 years old and has serious behavioral problems that I have never been able to get control of, and now my difficult child 1 (A) is in an inpatient facility for the first time undergoing observation and treatment.
I feel like a total idiot! "A" has been displaying mood problems, conduct issues, suicidal mentions, and everything else for years and it was soooooo completely overshadowed by difficult child 2's Autism that I was totally ignorant to the fact that, just maybe, he had some serious issues going on! Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pity party for myself, but I just have to admit my total lack of attention to the situation in order to be able to accept it and move forward. He's been in the hospital since Saturday. He ran away from home...I called the police, they couldn't find him, they called the Sherrif to bring the K9 dog, whom I had to provide a piece of clothing for the dog to get his scent and track (this was like living a prime-time drama). The whole thing was a total nightmare but luckily they found him, several miles from home acting very irrational and unsafe. I am completely new to this situation and never imagined myself admitting my child into a psychiatric hospital, but I quickly acknowledged the seriousness and knew I had to make a move. And lastly, I have to mention the kids' dad. Selfish, disconnected, biological donor who's nothing but a glorified babysitter....well, actually a babysitter would do a better job than him in taking care of these boys. I guess that gives a good description.

So, here I am, in a completely new reality, and not very happy about it. But I am determined to stay strong and do whatever I have to do to give these kids a chance at a good life.

I've never had anyone to REALLY talk to about my kids' issues and I'm truly hoping to find some much needed support here.

Lulu

Hello and welcome! I'm pretty new here and post over on the Early Childhood board, but noticed your post here and wanted say that you have found the right place! I can't imagine what a nightmare you've been through recently, discovering your difficult child 1's issues had gotten so bad. You will receive lots of words of wisdom very soon.

nvts

Hi! Welcome to the crowd! You'll get a lot of support, suggestions, and information and a lot of fun with no judgement.

First, don't feel like you weren't paying enough attention. Criminy, with all that you have on your plate, things go wrong...guilt is a useless emotion (unless your using it on someone else! lol!).

Second, have you had a neuropsychologist done on difficult child 1? It's a long time to get and a long time to administer, but it gives you a lot of insight.

I'll write more later, I've got a shoulder surfer here!

Again, welcome! You've found a great group!

Beth

BusynMember

Is difficult child #1 on medication?
HI and welcome. I"m an oldtimer...been through a lot. Maybe can offer up a few suggestions. Others will come along too.

Jena

hi

and welcome you've have found a great place. and don't beat yourself up we can only do the best we can.

you sound very determined and very strong.

welcome again!!!

Jen :)

sandman3

The hospital just started him on Depakote to see how it works. I just came from visiting him and he seems good, keeping my fingers crossed!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome-you do have a lot on your plate. Glad you found us. You are definitely not alone. You will find much support here!

neednewtechnique

Just wanted to drop in as the others have and offer my welcome! I have been around for a while, but was gone for some time, and I am just re-orientating myself with the board and trying to get everyone caught up with what's going on at our house, but again, WELCOME!

BusynMember

Depakote takes eight full weeks and a therapeutic level before it really kicks in. You'll have to give this one time. I hope it works !

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Also wanted to say welcome - this is a great place for support! I'm so sorry to hear what is happening, but am hoping maybe now your difficult child can get the help he needs from the hospital. You're a strong woman dealing with a lot right now - vent away and glad you found the group!!!