New Here

sunnysunshine77

Wow I never new of this site. I have 3 kids. 14 yr old-ADHD. A 5 yr old was just recently diagnosis with ASP. He will take the ADOS test later this year. And 17 month old. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.....

sunnysunshine77

Did you come here because you are having a hard time? If so, can you tell us what is going on so we can try to help?

Well I kinda stumbled on this site when I googled 5 year old w angry issues. We are at the begin stage with DS 5. Not even sure where to begin. He goes from 0-100 in a millisecond. Most of his outburst are at school. Flipping desks, chairs, running out of the building, banging head, etc etc.... sigh! Thanks for responding!

Bunny

Why don't you tell us a little bit about your kids. What were their early year like? What were they like as babies? Any information you can tell us would be great, so we have an idea what you're going through.

InsaneCdn

So, he is 5... and school is driving him insane.
Trust me, he's not the first kid like this.
The fact that this is happening at school and not everywhere... makes me wonder if things really escalated with school starting.
There could be a range of reasons for that.

Has he ever had any evaluations at all? any diagnoses? (dxes)
Any family history of developmental or mental health dxes?

sunnysunshine77

Thanks ladies... We are kind of at a crossroad with DS5. He was diagnosis with ASP on Monday. His behavior is on going. Just yesterday husband had to pick him up because he poked another child with a marker and some other stuff. I am at my wit’s end. The Dr. that diagnosis him on Monday wants us to follow-up with the ADOS testing. This is not until Feb 2014. I received a vm last night that the appointment for Dec was incorrect. ******!!! Also the doctor does not want us to sign an IEP because the ADOS test needs to be done. The child study team at DS school is in the miss of conducting their test as well. That will happen hopeful sometime this month. It just seems so overwhelming. He has been picked up from school 3 times. For hitting, kicking, broke the vice principal glass trinket on her desk, very disruptive, bang head and so on. He is a very structured lil boy. And I’m not sure if being in a class of 19 with one teacher helps. At home we are able to diffuse the issues with a timer, stern voice, time out, go to bed, etc etc. We do not see most of these behaviors at home. We do have a 17month that we are not afraid to leave him with in a room. He is very gentle wit her. So that's where we draw a blank. I don't know too much about ASP. And the doctor suggested not go searching crazy online. Not sure how we are going to make it from now till Feb without some serious intervention.
Sorry for any typos on mobile device. Wow this is long… oops!

InsaneCdn

What is 'ASP'? It's not a normal diagnosis term... do you mean Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) (autism spectrum disorder)? Asperger's? something else?

If you take the doctor's IEP comment over to the Special Education forum, someone there may know ways to get an interim IEP that can give you SOME resources etc. NOW, and still allow for major changes early next year.

sunnysunshine77

Yes..... Correct Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)....
That's great advice. Didn't even think of that. I'm still waiting for the child study team at DS to give me a date. It should happen this month. Thanks again!

C

Confused

sunnysunshine77, always write as much as you need or want too! I will read it, as others will and my posts have been extremely long! You are getting great advice and it is good that he is calm with his sister, just keep an eye out. The wait times are so long for many of us and I hope something can be moved faster for you all. Hugs