New medication Question

klmno

psychiatrist from psychiatric hospital just called and left a message (I couldn't get to phone). English is not his first language so here's what I was able to make out- he wants to add a new medication that ended in something like "..xetin". He said it has helped some kids reduce cutting and has minimal side effects. Of course, he needs me to call him back and give consent.

I'm getting a little concerned about a medication being the added for everything when so far, they all don't seem to be solving the problems. This one kind of makes me feel like when my dr decided I should quit smoking so he rx'd me a pill to help. There is no way a pill is going to either make me or not make me quit smoking.

on the other hand, we're talking about something injurous to my son and I don't want to take unnecessary chances.

Any thoughts or experiences? Any idea what medication he's talking about? I think he said it comes in 25 and 50 mg pill form.

Jena

hi, sheesh never ends, huh...?? What about flouxitene?? is that how it's spelt. first one that came to mind. it's an ssri, i don't know that is what hit me when i read that.

klmno

Better not be- that's prozac and we already been there done that!! I think it started with either a "T" or an "N".

klmno

I kind of hate to call and asked him to spell it then say "I'll call you back in an hour and let you know- I have to go check with my board buddies and get their opinions and do a google search before I can decide" LOL!

Jena

I tried to do a search under medications to prevent kids cutting self injury and i couldn't find anything. don't be silly you can totally call him back ask for the spelling and say "hey umm i'll call you back again", especially after the medication stuff you have gone through.

I wish you luck.

smallworld

k, I'd love to help you, but I need the name of the medication -- LOL!

Try calling the nurses' station and see if they know what the psychiatrist is considering.

klmno

That's cute, Smallworld- was I expecting a bit too much? LOL!

I called- the nurse said it would be "Naltrexan" starting at 25 mg/day and probably titrating to 50 mg/day.

I've never heard of this medication. I google it and get a lot of links in a different language. Also, there appears to be a connection to drug abuse treatment. (They did a urine test on him- he's clean) The nurse said it controlled or reduced impulses and obsessional thinking about cutting.

Last edited:

maril

Go to drugs.com; then in the search bar type "tin" and see the results, can also try "tine." Remember don't hit return or click "search," as medications will auto list -- just check below the search bar and there will be a list of medications that have that as a prefix or suffix. See if one of those "fits" what you think was said. Good luck!

P.S. Re the information I put above ...I was answering your OP; then, after I posted, I saw that you already had found the name of the medication, which is good!

Anyway, the website I mentioned is a helpful one, if you ever need it.

Last edited:

klmno

Thanks! One web site- (that I hit "translate" on) says it is a specific brand of a medication also known as Nalorex and Revia.

klmno

Hmmm.... what do you think? I'm wondering if I should call regular psychiatrist and see what he thinks (I'm assuming that the psychiatrist at psychiatric hospital has not done this or he would have mentioned it).

smallworld

I know nothing about this medication so it's hard to give you any advice one way or another.

It's a good idea to check in with difficult child's regular psychiatrist. I've done that in the past when my kids were in day treatment and the psychiatrists there were doing the prescribing.

klmno

I called and asked the receptionist to ask psychiatrist if he recommended it or not, so she can call me back. psychiatrist already knew about the cutting from our appointment on Monday so he can probably fill in the gaps on his own. I figured I might as well get his opinion because if he's not completely comfortable with a rx, he'll take difficult child off as soon as he gets out of psychiatric hospital!