mama2lexxie

Hi All,
I am Angela, mom to two. daughter is 6 and newly diagnosis with ODD, unofficially with ADHD and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). I also have a 15 month old.
I do not even know where to begin.
Thank you for this group, I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

nvts

Hi Angela! Welcome to the crowd!

Quick question: who diagnosed the ODD? That usually goes hand in hand with something, so was it a psychologist, pediatrician, neuropsychologist?

We're a nice group who collectively have seen it all!

Welcome again!

Beth

Welcome to the board.

I want to echo what Nvts said: ODD is almost never a diagnosis by itself. You will find lots of support here on the board.

mama2lexxie

She was diagnosis by a Pediatric Pyschologist and she is waiting for the evaluation I asked to be done through the ISD. Then she will determine ADHD, which she feels is very likely.
I tried right after school started to get her evaluated but all the ISD did was send a questionaire to myself and to her teacher who took months to fill it out. I don't rely on what the teacher said as she was quite concerned that we were mostly interested in medicating Lexxie. The ISD then sent me their report which I did not understand so I called and they never returned my calls. Finally a month or so ago, I asked the pediatrician and she referred us to the Psychologist she is seeing now.
We are also in the market for an Occupational Therapist (OT) to evaluate her for Sensory Issues.

I hope that answers your question.

Sara PA

If I were you, I'd look into the central nervous system adverse reactions for the asthma drugs she is taking before I accepted any psychiatric diagnosis. The side effects from those drugs could cause or worsen behaviors often viewed as symptoms of some psychaitric disorders. Anxiety can be an adverse reaction to all of them and anxiety makes everything worse.

mama2lexxie

My parents are nurses so we thought about that, however things have not changed significantly with the Asthma medications. She has been like this since long before the medications. She started them over last summer. I wish that was causing it. What an easy 'fix' that would be.
Thanks for the advise.

TerryJ2

Hi Angela, welcome.
Here's some iced tea ...
Let us know what else is going on with-your daughter.
(Interesting that your parents are nurses.)

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Welcome Angela!

I would look into getting an evaluation at a children's hospital for a complete workup. Do you have one near you? If not, as we don't, we used a child neuropsychologist and he was instrumental in diagnosis'ing Aly and guiding us towards the best supports and psychiatrists and tdocs around here. It's pretty amazing but his observations of her when she was only 6 years old were so right on and her docs now all agree with his findings.

How is she in school? Delayed at all? Your daughter has the RIGHT to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) and you have the RIGHT to request and receive all testing done in a timely fashion. If you do not agree with their findings, you have the RIGHT to obtain your own evaluations and request that the school put those findings into your daughter's IEP. The school district is not required to do this, but it is in their best interest to do it and you can fight for it.

We were lucky that Aly's school was very happy to implement suggestions neuropsychologist had, it saved the SD alot of time, effort and $$ to not have to do such detailed testing on their own.

Welcome and ask questions or ask for support, that's what we do here!!

Hug of welcome,
Vickie

mama2lexxie

Thanks!
Actually we have a great Children's Hospital that we are very familiar with. DS was in the NICU there and they are wonderful. So who do I contact at the CH? DeVos is great as I said, but I don't know where to start there.
Thanks for the advise and info.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
If you already have a relationship with a children's hospital, that's even better! I would call and ask for a complete Neuropsycholgical Workup and Evaluation and Testing.

I think if you look in our archives, there is a thread or 2 in there of how to ask to get what type of evaluation is needed for your daughter.

Also, look for a thread on doing a parent report. That is the single most important document in our huge files for our daughter. I just keep it on disk and update as needed. It seems a little overwhelming to start it at first, but once you have it, it is invaluable! I print it out and give it to all professionals involved in the treatment of our daughter.

I even have done one for my younger daughter now and one for myself. It is sooo much easier than having to fill out tons of papers with info that is easy to forget. I just put "see parent report" on the questionaires, as our reports are very thorough and answer all of the docs questions about testing dates, medications tried, hospitalizations, surgeries, etc.

Good luck!!

Hugs,
Vickie

nvts

Nah, a neuropsychologist does all types of testing. Over a period of time, it's actually several hours. It's very in-depth and informational.

Good luck with it!

Beth

mama2lexxie

Great thanks! I will contact the CH and see what they can do.
We had no power for about 24 hours and boy does that bite.

Hope you all had a good day! :)