Leeann Terry

Hi all. Just joined! So my son is 4 and has developmental delay, Poland Syndrome, ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, and is Bipolar. We are starting pre-k in a couple of weeks. We are going to regular ed with our own parapro. We participate in Occupational Therapist (OT) and ST on a weekly basis and have private tutoring. There are good days and bad days.

So what else do I do?????? Is there something that we are not doing that will make a difference. Resources are limited here in Georgia and all the Doctors take the attitude that this is something we will have to live with and will get worse and not better. Is that your experience? Anyone have any experience with therapy dogs? I feel so guilty because I am an occupational therapist and can help other people with their children all day long, but feel helpless when it comes to my own.

Thanks for listening!!

Leeann:D

nvts

Hey Leeann! Welcome to the crowd! I had to google poland syndrome, I was a little lost on that one! It said that it is very rare - and sounds like he's got his hands full trying to tow the line! You must be running on empty with all of the wonderful diagnosis'.

Has he had a total neuropsychologist done? I mean he's only 4, that seems a little young for these docs to be telling you to just deal with it!

How was his early development (itchy tags, aversion to certain clothes, types of foods, a "know it all" on certain subjects). As an Occupational Therapist (OT), you must be really frustrated.

Take a look at the book "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. It gives you an idea as to how our kids are seeing things. It's a relatively quick read but offers a lot of hope.

I'm headed for bed, I'll check in tomorrow!

Oh, most important: Don't beat yourself up about not being able to help your little guy - everything is always different when it's your kid - it's all about perspective! ;)

Feel better!

Beth