Njinda

HI all,
I reagistered this morning. Yesterday our 11 year old son was diagnosed with CD (conduct disorder).
I am looking for support, advise, tips and usefull information. I hope to find it here.
Thank you.
Njinda

tictoc

Welcome, Njinda. Just wondering if you can tell us a little more. What caused you to seek a diagnosis for your son? What kind of doctor/psychologist diagnosed him?

Welcome to the board.

Lori4ever

So sorry you're going through this. That usually goes hand in hand with other disorders. It sure isn't fun to deal with. Know you're not alone. Many of us here know how it is.

jenzer

Welcome. Please share more, there are some of the best people here to help. I know your reading everything you can on CD, but CD is rarely a solo diagnosis. We're here to help.

Marguerite

Welcome. Please do a sig for yourself when you are ready, it will save you having to describe your family over and over, every time you post. It helps us keep track so we can better direct any suggestions.

One thing I highly recommend - read "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene. It gives a different way of looking at your child, leading to a different way of parenting. I found it made my life a great deal easier and has reduced the extreme touchiness and reactivity of difficult child 3. The discipline techniques can be used on any kid (I actually keep it in mind when I'm dealing with education authorities - I have a theory that large organisations, notably our welfare authority in Australia and our Dept of Ed) are themselves autistic - they have communication problems, they are extremely rigid in their thinking and in the way they expect us to interact with them; obsessed with rules as they interpret them; they're not good at playing together. You may feel some of these also fit your son - it helps to know that he could have a great career in public service!

Read around this site also. Browse trough the archives. We are simply parents of kids who are a bit more challenging than most. We have a collective experience level, however, which is a very powerful tool that is now available for you to use, to help you with your family. In turn, you may find that someone else has a question that you can answer. Don't panic if you feel that will never happen - trust me, the day will come when you realise you have your own diploma from the School of Hard Knocks.

Nothing is ever a waste. Life is all learning experience. And if I can use my experience to help you, then it won't have been all for nothing.

Marg

TerryJ2

Hi Njinda, welcome.
Let us know more about you. You will learn a lot and find things in common with-you and your son when you read through old notes here, too.

slsh

member since 1999
Hi Njinda, and welcome! :)

What kind of behaviors are you dealing with? What strategies have you used to deal with the behaviors, and what has worked/not worked? Is your son in counseling or on medications? How is he doing in school and socially?

We're a wonderful mix of opinions and experiences here. None of us has *the* answer, but we're always good for suggestions and a shoulder to lean on. ;)

Again, welcome and I'm glad you found us!

busywend

Welcome! As the others have said, there is no 1 answer. Every child here is different and requires different approaches. One thing is for sure, get ready to try a multitude of different techniques and strategies. A support system is important. Medical and family if you can.