New pup coming home on friday.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If she has not been wormed by previous owner, worm her. They can upset the digestive system and make it uncomfortable when you pick them up. Or she could just be nervous over being around strangers in a new place without momma dog.

Maggie would either yelp or growl, depending. I didn't like either response. But after the first couple of days yelping stopped (and wormer was working I'm sure)......then I had to work on the growling aspect as previous owner obviously did not handle the pups much, if at all, and she'd haul them high up in the air by the scruff of the neck. Now I know most people think Oh, this doesn't hurt & momma dog does it...........well, maybe, but momma dog isn't lifting them some 5 feet into the air either when she does it. And usually after a certain age momma dog stops using that method.

When Maggie realized she could trust Travis and I to not hold her via the scruff, but securely in our arms......she stopped even the growling part.

Now just to warn you for future reference........(I dunno if you've had multiple dogs before or not) doggie play is loud, there is much barking & later growling, snarling, baring of teeth, wrestling, tumbling, chasing..........and at times you're gonna think Broady means business and is NOT playing and gonna hurt the pup. Molly is pulling no punches with Maggie these days and omg it can sound like I've got a serious dog fight on my hands (I can just imagine what my neighbors think). I have to check on them............as in check to see if Molly's tail is up and wagging......to make certain they're playing. I think this is where a mistake was made with both our past basset Precious and then later Betsy. With Precious......well, it was right after the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and my only defense is I wasn't right in the head. I wouldn't let Molly really get down and out play with her.......and I think if affected their relationship and caused later issues. With Betsy I had no issues with it, but Precious refused to let Molly play with Betsy at all. So Betsy and Molly didn't get to play together until we rehomed Precious, by then Betsy was well over a year old. (Precious was a tad difficult child by the way) But as I've watched Molly and Maggie play.......I've watched their bond become more intense and solid. I think this explains why Rowdy and Molly are so close too, they played together like that when they were both young.

Enjoy your new lil baby girl. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG!!!! Jody she is PRECIOUS!! So adorable, love the coloring!!! You are gonna have sooooooo much fun spoiling your baby girl!! (mine is spoiled rotten LOL )

Jody

She is definately better about that, she loves to be picked up now. I saw both parents of the pup, definately both cocker spaniels, but she was definately the prettiest and people were told she was taken and they still tried to offer more money for her. Puppies are definately more work. lol, but they are worth it, for all the love and devotion, and friendship they give.

witzend

Puppies are more work, and they end up being more like what you want, I think. They're not a collection of all the things they lived and learned before they came to you. Although that's not always a bad thing. ;) Mandy can be very well behaved when she knows she has to, and we sure as heck didn't teach her that!

TerryJ2

She's probably scared to death. When you picked her out, did you go back and bring a piece of fabric or something to get her used to your smell?

Jody

Yes, we visited her several times a week and we would rub her all over a pillow case and then take it home so that Broady would be familiar with her scent. We had named her Nala, but it just didn't seem to fit. Then we were watching the show where the follow the obese person for a year and they lose weight. Can't remember the name but the woman's name was Nyla. Pronounced Nila with a strong I sound. difficult child got hired to work at another event on Sunday, so I am going to be home with the puppy all day. OH my. She is gonna wear me out. I need a play pen for this pup. I can't move as fast as she does. lol.

TerryJ2

Lol! Jody, if you met her several times, then I'd go with-the worming idea, or at least take her to the vet for a once-over.
Soooo cute!