New School Year

JJJ

New program supervisor, new program school psychiatric, new teacher, new aide

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this be the year that everything clicks for Tigger

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:please: I hear ya!

Personally, I'm keeping my head in the sand for a few more weeks! :tongue: We don't go back until after Labor Day. I still need to get off my tookus and get difficult child 1's FINAL neuropsychologist report copy from the evaluation done back in APRIL :grrr: And I need to start getting the ducks in line for difficult child 2's transition to middle school. Yada, yada, yada. I just don't want to think about it yet.

In our case, if we can get the medications right, then I think everything else will fall in place.

Is Tigger looking forward to the new year?

JJJ

Tigger is both excited and scared about the new year. He so desperately wants it to go well, but experience has shown him that it probably won't. They have brought in an experienced ED teacher and aide and a school pysch trained in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) for autistic kids. It is a classroom of 2 boys, 1 teacher and 1 aide. He will spend some of his day in the Learning Disability (LD) room with about 8 kids and at least 3 adults.

He has made so many gains in maturity, behavior and even readiness-to-learn that I have a good feeling about this year. (But, like Tigger, I am gun-shy about getting my hopes too high.)

He has "meet the teacher" day in 19 days and school starts in just 26 days :)

Time to review our skills!

nvts

JJJ! Wow! What a great program for Tig! We're going through the same thing here and the anxiety is "ratcheting up" with all 3 difficult children.

I've been making sure with difficult child 1 especially that he talks to me every day about the whole thing - only recently did he find his voice and describe his feelings on things. It's the weirdest thing: we took him off all medications and he says NOW he can feel the difference in his body when he feels anger, frustration, sadness, fear, etc. According to him, in the past, negative feelings all felt the same - as anger. The things that make you go "hmmmmm"!

Good luck with everything - I've got a real feeling that this might be the year!

Beth

JJJ

Beth -- When I taught ED/BD high school I had a child come to my classroom after spending a year in phosps and RTCs where they (for the first time in his life) got his medication cocktail correct. We had to teach him what each feeling was called, like your son, he had felt all bad emotions as "anger" and now he could feel the difference and was kind of freaked out that there were so many emotions to be felt. On the good side, he was also able to feel a lot more positive emotions :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hope your year clicks as well!
We are working on emotions here also.
Anger is her go to emotion. Everyone is angry.
We only have 2 weeks until School starts...
Scared, head in sand