New symtom and I'm worried

Californiablonde

Last night I woke up with very bad pain in my inner thighs, back of my legs, and butt area. I have no idea why. I have not been exercising AT ALL lately. No walking or anything. Today the pain is even worse. Every time I move or bend down, it hurts real bad. I have no clue what could be wrong with me. Other than the deep muscle pain, I have no other symptoms. Any ideas?

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I don't know if this is what you have, but perhaps it might be sciatica?
Sciatica can run from the butt area down the legs, to the knee. I've had it a couple of times and the location has varied. I go to my acupuncturist for it because she can do 1-2 treatments and it's gone. It can be quite painful too because it's a nerve. If you sit a lot that can make it worse too. Google it and see if your symptoms match sciatica.

Californiablonde

I don't know if this is what you have, but perhaps it might be sciatica?
Sciatica can run from the butt area down the legs, to the knee. I've had it a couple of times and the location has varied. I go to my acupuncturist for it because she can do 1-2 treatments and it's gone. It can be quite painful too because it's a nerve. If you sit a lot that can make it worse too. Google it and see if your symptoms match sciatica.
Thank you for your response. If it was sciatica, would it be on both side?

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Have you done any squatting or bending over where you stayed in that position for a long time? When I garden for a long time, or do a lot of filing or something I don't do ordinarily, the next day I have similar symptoms because my muscles aren't used to that position.......I get into weeding and I forget to stop and then the next day my legs and back can really hurt. Sometimes I've been surprised at how much it can hurt. Any new physical activity you may have done could produce those symptoms.

Californiablonde

Have you done any squatting or bending over where you stayed in that position for a long time? When I garden for a long time, or do a lot of filing or something I don't do ordinarily, the next day I have similar symptoms because my muscles aren't used to that position.......I get into weeding and I forget to stop and then the next day my legs and back can really hurt. Sometimes I've been surprised at how much it can hurt. Any new physical activity you may have done could produce those symptoms.
I can't think of anything I have done differently. I just can't stop being worried.

Californiablonde

I was on my knees filing at work yesterday. Could something like that have done it? I just can't believe the pain is this bad when I haven't done anything strenuous.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Well, filing on my knees for any length of time would do it for me!! Sometimes I've squatted down for longer than I usually would and yes, the next day, my muscles can ache. If you don't use those particular muscles they can get pretty crabby about it!

Californiablonde

Well, filing on my knees for any length of time would do it for me!! Sometimes I've squatted down for longer than I usually would and yes, the next day, my muscles can ache. If you don't use those particular muscles they can get pretty crabby about it!
Thank you I hope that's all it is and I hope it's gone by tomorrow!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I would take a hot bath tonight CB and rest. Folks say to use ice on it, but I use my heating pad because i'm always cold, but the heat helps me. I hope you feel better soon.:)

jetsam

not true! i suffer from sciatica and although it is usually on one side sometimes it can be both. also, check with your dr for herniated disc i had 2 discs removed (due to a car accident) and had pain down both sides of legs. it all depends on the inflammation and which nerves are being compressed. have your dr check you out

Lil

When I had sciatica, it literally felt like someone was grabbing my butt cheek with a big set of pincers and trying to RIP it off! Then the pain would shoot down my leg too. But that muscle spasm in the gluteous maximus was the WORST.

I've had pain down my inner thighs, muscle cramps/spasms, too. In my case, it was caused by taking a couple of long hikes, when normally I'm not used to doing a darn thing, and lack of sufficient water intake. It is a lack of magnesium caused by too much exercise combined with dehydration. Yes, the kneeling and filing all day could be enough if you are generally sedentary. Drink LOTS of water and try a magnesium supplement.

Californiablonde

When I had sciatica, it literally felt like someone was grabbing my butt cheek with a big set of pincers and trying to RIP it off! Then the pain would shoot down my leg too. But that muscle spasm in the gluteous maximus was the WORST.

I've had pain down my inner thighs, muscle cramps/spasms, too. In my case, it was caused by taking a couple of long hikes, when normally I'm not used to doing a darn thing, and lack of sufficient water intake. It is a lack of magnesium caused by too much exercise combined with dehydration. Yes, the kneeling and filing all day could be enough if you are generally sedentary. Drink LOTS of water and try a magnesium supplement.

Some of my Facebook friends recommended magnesium supplements as well. The pain is still here so perhaps I will try some if it doesn't go away soon. Today I have a new symptom. I have a severe headache. It started yesterday, went away with Tylenol, and came back with a vengeance at 4:00 this morning. I took some Tylenol immediately, but it didn't go away. I went to work and a nice coworker gave me some Ibuprofen, but that too didn't help. I have also been drinking caffeine all day to see if it helps. Nope. I don't think I have a migraine. The pain is on both sides, not just one. I am starting to get worried why this headache is being so stubborn and lingering. I sure hope I feel better by tomorrow.

Californiablonde

Cali,

How are you doing?
No headaches since that day, thank goodness. And that muscle pain? It mysteriously went away in about two days. I did discover, quite by accident, that when I stretch my whole body while lying in bed I tend to clench my muscles together. I am sure that must have been what did it. I feel better now. Thank you for your concern.

Californiablonde

Glad you are feeling better!

How are the kids doing?
The kids aren't doing so good. We went to the psychiatrist yesterday, and he is changing both their medications. My daughter dropped out of school, and is supposedly going to re enroll in the spring. It will be interesting to see if it happens. As of now, she is still depressed and has no ambition. My son is getting 4 F's. I had to stop his Focalin due to bad side effects. He literally stopped eating for days and didn't sleep at all. The doctor agreed to switch his medication to Vynase, but I just found out there is no generic form and it's too expensive. I am going to email his doctor and ask him if he can prescribe something else that's cheaper. For now, I am just taking it day by day.

AppleCori

Cali,

You could try contacting the Vynase manufacturer to see if they have a program for people that can't afford the medications that they need. Most big drug companies do. I hear that United Way (dial 211) has that type of info, regarding the specific manufacturer and the phone numbers, if you can't find it.

Also try 'Any Baby Can'. It is a program that pays for medications for young people (I think it is just for people under 25 or something, but I could be wrong about the ages).

Would your daughter be better off getting her GED?