New to this

Lil

difficult child is tongue-in-cheek (almost sarcasm), like southern ladies saying "Bless your heart" when what they mean is "You idiot. How do you breathe without instruction."

Shan, I do hope we haven't run you off. :)

stressedmama

Personally I hate the term difficult child. I don't feel I am deserving of that type of "gift." And God knows none of my other 3 are perfect children!

Welcome, Shan! If you've read any other posts, I'm sure you've come across the saying "take what helps, leave the rest behind." We've all been (or still are) in a similar situation and are here to help and get help.

Hugs for your hurting heart!

BusynMember

There are days, or well maybe currently my oldest kid is more likely to worry me than anger me, when "Spawn of Satan" or just plain, old fashioned PITA have felt more appropriate acronym for my Insolent Whelp (which also tends to work fine) than "Gift from God" but then I remember that God's ways are not our ways, or so Bible states.
Then again, for some reason, I would not be comfortable calling him "my difficult child." I mean, he is difficult, but using that as an acronym would seem like selling him short. He may be difficult but he is also so much more than just a difficult child. Summing him us as "difficult child" would feel just as incomplete as summing him up as "tall child", "grey-eyed child", "gifted child" or "eating lots child" (he is all that too.)
Suzir, our poster from France said almost the same thing about France. But, to be honest, although MOST (emphasis on that) Americans won't go up to somebody and tell their kid to "quiet, down, dear", that doesn't mean they aren't thinking, "What's WRONG with that kid and his parents...has to be the parents fault. Why don't they DO something?" I can not tell you the looks I got when I took Sonic shopping. This was when we first got him, at two, and were not sure he was autistic. He liked to run off and scream like a wounded primal animal, then roll on the floor like she was being killed. I ran after him like a crazy lady and I"m sure the entire mall was looking in horror. When I got to him he'd hit and kick and wouldn't let me pick him up without biting me so I picked him up and he bit me and I had tears in my eyes. I just knew everyone was thinking, "What is she doing, abducting the poor little boy?" (I am white and he's black, which made for extra drama.

Yet nobody said anything, but they did stare and stop what they were doing and if cell phones had been around back then, I'm sure somebody would have called the police.

Bet we made dinner table news in many homes that night.

Americans are more apt to give you a nasty look or mumble loudly to their friend, "Can you SEE that???" Some WILL come up to you and boldly tell you that they would never tolerate that. Some will even said, from a distance, that the if that was his kid, he'd wallop him.

It is highly embarassing to deal with bad behavior in public and I'm pretty sure, although it's handled perhaps a bit differently, we all blush the same shade of fuchsia when it does happen.

We won't even get into what teachers say. That to me was always the worst. 37 was never "teacher's pet."

BusynMember

Oh, Shan, please don't go. Why not tell us your story? I'm so sorry the thread was sidetracked. It was my fault. We care about your issues and, trust me, whatever they are, we have heard of them. We've heard way too much.

Jabberwockey

I'm so sorry the thread was sidetracked.

I wouldn't say it was side tracked. She asked for clarification on difficult child and probably got more than she bargained for! But yes Shan, feel free to share with the class. There is a variety of experience here and even if nobody has ever gone through anything close to what you are, we can at least offer moral support!

AppleCori

Hmm...

difficult child...

I look at it as a name, like Joe or Sam or Jen.

Except its a name for people with certain traits that make them difficult to live with and difficult for them to fit into societal norms.

They often have drug/alcohol addictions or mental health problems.

They are wired differently.

But the semantics of what to call them...

I just see three letters.

AppleCori

Yes, they will always be our children--I've got six--so I know that.

But '' I kicked my G-- F -- G out'' sounds better than " kicked my difficult child out".

BusynMember

We can always use DAC Difficult Adult Child if we like. I mean, they don't follow any rules. We don't need to follow exact rules either, right? ;)

Shan

Shan, welcome. I hope you will join us and share your story. This is a safe place to come and vent and get support and just feel you are not alone. It helps to write it down sometimes, a certain clarity ensues and we'll have a better way to understand and support you. I'm glad you found us and I hope you stay. Whatever is going on with your adult child, it's likely we'll be able to "get it" and offer you our own stories and some support along the way.
No

Shan

No problem I think I got the different codes .
I'm here trust me I posted before and took your guys advice and it's a lot better. My little precious angels are treating me much better as is husband bc I think they are all freaked out bc I'm reacting differently than usual when they say or do something. No worries about hijacking it's sll good