New treatments for drug and alcohol abuse

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Interesting.

My son has only been able to stay sober for around 3 months at at time. On year 6 or 7.

He did have something similar done in individual therapy - they called it Brain Mapping. Had many sessions.

It did not help him but anything that can help any one of ours is great news!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Interesting.

My son has only been able to stay sober for around 3 months at at time. On year 6 or 7.

He did have something similar done in individual therapy - they called it Brain Mapping. Had many sessions.

It did not help him but anything that can help any one of ours is great news!
At this point I am willing to try anything and HST makes me a target for junk science and snake oil sales. How desperate we are.

Crayola13

From what I have seen, the twelve step programs have a very high failure rate, so I definitely think other types of therapy need to be implemented. I don't know why twelve step programs are considered the gold standard.

Littleboylost

Although I attend Naranon meetings I have no intention of doing the 12 steps they are somewhat antiquated.

Sam3

Good share! I do the same thing. Keep my eye out for medical advances. I know there are no silver bullets but I think I keep that kind of info on hand to make the road back seem easier for him if he wants to change direction.

PiscesMom

There are medications as well, like naltrexone, more common in Europe, I have read. Have you read The Irrationality of AA?

BusynMember

Every rehab/ treatment has a high failure rate. Addiction is hard to treat. The client has to want to quit. Nothing can force them to do it.

Littleboylost

There are medications as well, like naltrexone, more common in Europe, I have read. Have you read The Irrationality of AA?
I have and I do believe they took the literary sense of AA and I think it has evolved over time. I prefer the SMART model of rehab myself. But what ever works just let it work.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I think the 12 steps partnered with medication and the addicts want for sobriety are all great tools. I don't think we will ever find the magic cure... I think surroundings and great mentors are also key.

I would as would you pay for that magic bullet.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
When my son ever complains/complained about rehab, sober living, 12 steps, having a sponsor etc. I throw it right back at him and tell him "that's all there is".

That is what has been developed by former addicts or whomever to help using addicts through the addiction. Right? What else can we say to it?

I wish my son would do the 12 steps personally. I think there is a lot of good awareness and self-reflection there.