New Website Details Federal Investment in Children's Programs

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
New Website Details Federal Investment in Children's Programs
First Focus has developed a website that provides customizable information on more than 180 federally funded children's programs. The site, www.childrensbudget.org, will help advocates detail the federal investment in every program benefiting children.

Making Children a Greater National Priority in the Federal Budget

Welcome to http://www.childrensbudget.org, the first dynamic, interactive website giving you the tools to explore how the federal government invests taxpayer resources in our children. http://www.childrensbudget.org/ is a project of First Focus, a national, bipartisan children’s advocacy organization. Using this site, you can discover annual funding information for each federally supported program that aims to help our nation’s children. The boxes below allow you to search for individual programs, compare categories of children’s spending, and even create a custom category of the programs that matter to you.
The Federal budget is a reflection of our national priorities. Politicians of all political affiliations claim to put kids first. Yet this year, the federal government will spend less than 10% of its budget on programs addressing the needs of American young people.
Are we shortchanging our children?

ChildrensBudget.org

TheOnlyMe from Brazelon Center for Mental Health

susiestar

Roll With It
Interesting website. As to are we short-changing our nation's children? Of course we are. They can't vote. And so many of us have SEEN the barriers to getting almost any kind of help for our kids, even neurotypical kids. It costs me more to see a psychologist or social worker than it does to see a developmental pediatrician or psychiatrist even if the psychiatrist or dev pediatrician runs lab test out the kazoo.

And the limits on how long a child can stay in most phosps are ridiculous. Kids are supposed to be "fixed" or "stabilized" on medications (that can take 6 weeks to work) after a 3 to 5 day hospital stay. And the 15 minute "family therapy" session is supposed to teach us parents how we are doing it wrong and how to do it right.

Kids are being incredibly short-changed in our country. Look at our schools. Limits on the amt of paper a teacher can use for copies that are 1 ream of paper a YEAR for ALL the classes the teacher teaches! One school my dad taught in actually limited the amt of TOILET PAPER to one regular size roll per stall per day. There were 10 girls stalls in this school of 500 students! I know my dad actually bought TP and kept a couple of rolls for the kids to take to the bathroom with them, even though it meant many more kids went to the bathroom during his class than during other classes.

I think short changed is an understatement.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
As I keep screaming, we THE PARENTS NEED TO RALLY, WHO CAN VOTE AND EMAIL OUR REPRESENTATIVES, AND CALL THEM AND MAYBE EVEN PLAN A MARCH IN ALL MAJOR CITIES! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! ONE BATTLE ONE AT A TIME IS NOT CHANGING THE BROKEN SYSTEM! JUST LOOK HOW MANY PARENTS IN EACH STATE WE HAVE ON CD!