Newbie needs....sleep!

HeidiO

well, quick update....just got off of phone with estranged difficult child, she won't be picking up her things tonight, her's friends parents won't let her stay with them. My baby is homeless...cuz b/f must have put a time line on staying with him. I let her know that all of her belongings are stacked in the garage, she might not want to leave too long because of mice (live in the country) and also I park my car in there and would like it back in asap. So we'll see on that one.
As for asking the b/f to help our cause, he says he supports us and admires how we parent our kids, but his actions don't back it up...he did help on her 18th birthday however, otherwise, she would have moved out 3 weeks prior. But he won't answer my phone calls, so I assume he's avoiding me thinking I'll rip into him about having my daughter sleeping at his apartment. Which I wouldn't do, he already knows how we feel and obviously hasn't respected it until now...
So for now, it's a waiting game, and I just hope and pray my daughter remains safe and figures it all out. But we are moving on at home, repainting her old room and shifting bedrooms with our other kids. (difficult child K had the largest, nicest bedroom)
So, if difficult child wants to come home, we'll have a 'Home rules contract' and she'll be in the bedroom right next to the master, and share our bathroom instead of having her own. Life's tough isn't it?
I am sad, hurt and love my daughter to pieces, but she has to live with her consequences.
Signing off for now!

Marguerite

Why does she feel she needs to leave? it's not as if she can live with boyfriend, if HE says no. And if she chooses to have sex with him, clearly it can't be under your roof or his. So why should it matter to her where she sleeps?

I think you did amazingly when you didn't engage her, when you said, "You're an adult, you are now responsible for your own choices." That was amazing, and just what the situation needed.

We've been down this road with both our girls. We had to accept that we had done the best we could in handing on to them our morals, our views, our code of ethics - our kids get to a point where we no longer have influence over them, they listen more to their peers and follow their own desires. All we can hope is that we instilled enough moral fibre while we had the chance. And if we didn't instil enough - it's too late now. The best we can do is keep the door open so we can always talk, she can always come ask for advice knowing she won't be judged. Especially with easy child 2/difficult child 2 at the moment, we have to bite our tongues so much... but we figure, if she's not receptive, why say it? Instead, we say what we think she WILl listen to, and stay silent otherwise.

On the subject of taking practical responsibility for the decision to be sexually active - I took my kids shopping for contraceptives, I took them to the doctor and got them into the routine of regular pap smears, breast checks etc. There's something about being in a supermarket with your mother and hearing her ask, "Do you want ribbed or unribbed? If you get flavoured, avoid the banana ones, they taste horrible..." to totally take away the "we're young and we invented sex just for ourselves" myth.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 used to tell the local kids that she was a witch and would threaten the more persistent boys that she would put a curse on them if they continued to bother her. Mostly though, she let other kids continue the rumour. I had Christian friends coming to me in a panic over this, but I knew it was all a sham. I had talked to her about witchcraft, explained the LACK of magic behind it all (you can generally find the psychology) and showed her how to find the 'trick' in books she read. There's always a catch, which can be used to 'explain' why something doesn't work. I also showed her the arrogance of thinking you have anything about you which makes you more special or more superior to other people - the real damage lies in the attitude of "I'm special because I can do magic" when the reality is, "I'm an idiot because I've fooled myself into believing utter nonsense, and I'm wasting my time on this when I could be out there living a fulfilling life."
She still dresses like a Goth, but has totally discarded any interest in the supernatural, apart from pure academic interest in gullibility.
She's no longer drinking to excess (which she did when she got the chance, for a couple of years) and won't do drugs.
But the big thing - she simply isn't ready to leave home. If I said to her, "You can't sleep with your boyfriend under our roof," which was our ORIGINAL position, until we realised we couldn't stand guard forever, we had to sleep sometime, and if they were going to do it perhaps it was better done in the safety of our home than in some backstreet gutter somewhere), then I know she would leave. And make a total mess of things AND refuse to talk to me about any of it.

The Christian in me would ideally like to be able to say, "My kids have made some good decisions with their lives, they have chosen to be celibate until marriage and they are good, honest kids working towards a fulfilling and productive life," but I know this is just a pipe dream. So we have adapted to what we have - and the result is, for us, kids who know they can talk to us, kids who still have problems but who we work to see through them, kids who are honest with us. And the other really good thing we hadn't counted on - we get to influence the BFs too. The girls bring them home, we get to meet them. BF2 has moved in with us, he has changed a great deal for the positive in the last year.

I look at friends at church and their families - it's not all roses for them, either. Some parents seem to cope with it by denial ("What problem?") to the extent that they don't even know themselves sometimes (but their kids talk to our kids, and WE know). Others are like us - their kids have made their own decisions and the parents are accepting that this is how it is.

I also have an advantage - I'm the youngest of 8, by a big margin. By the time I had kids I was seeing all the mistakes being made by my sisters. I was almost the same generation as their kids and they talked to me, so I heard it from all sides. I've since used that information to try to hold my own family together.

It's not going to be perfect. The best you can do is try to make sure you can be there for your daughter, so she can come to you and talk especially if/when things go pear-shaped. And if you can't make it that good - at least you have tried. I think it's the best we can say.

One of my best friends was a teen mother like you. She has been in a big panic over her daughter and her daughter's choice in boyfriend (he's an abusive creep). The mother was terrified her daughter would make the same mistakes, and as a result she tried to be too controlling. Her daughter is a lovely person, although I agree with the mother - the girl has made a bad choice in boyfriend. But in her panic to see her daughter safe, my friend is risking driving her daughter towards the very person she wants her away from. I've tried to tell her - welcome the boyfriend as a guest in the house, give him adult status (hey, he's ten years older anyway) and be polite to him regardless. Because in doing so, this boor's bad behaviour to them, his bad attitude, will have absolutely no excuse in the daughter's eyes.
Currently, the boyfriend can say to the girl, "Your parents hate me," and the girl believes it because her mother has said, "We don't like him, we think you could do better."
But if they welcome him, are kind to him, cook his favourite meal when he comes to dinner and he STILL says, "Your parents are mean to me," she can look at the situation and see the boyfriend more clearly as a liar and manipulator.

And I think somewhere in my friend is still the teenage girl who felt totally shamed when she fell pregnant while unmarried. She constantly feels unworthy and has poor self-esteem. I keep telling her how gifted I think she is, I remind her how many languages she can speak, but she still sees herself as belonging to a lower caste. I think that could also be part of the problem - "We have to work harder to lift ourselves out of the mire, we have so much to make up for."

Sorry to ramble - not sure of any of that could be relevant to you. I hope you can use some of it. Maybe when we get to know the fine detail of your story more... it takes time. I'm glad you're here though. This is a good place to land. And your input for others will also be welcome.

Marg

HeidiO

Thank you for your kind words, and sharing those stories: there is just no cookie cutter out there that our children are from, I realize that. I also know each one of my children is a different soul, with different desires and dreams. Also, each one reacts differently with the same love, attention, and discipline.
Since my last post, and further research I am convinced my difficult child is definitely affected with Borderline (BPD). She was in the process of pysch. testing last year, when her therapist had emergency gall bladder surgery and then the school year ended...(she was the MH counselor thru the school)'
Due to some positive changes in difficult child's life, ie" the new b/f who seems promising still but definitely is not a easy child himself, we didn't pursue continuing testing over the summer. When the school year started, I contacted the MH counselor, she had priority cases that were life threatening and couldn't pick up difficult child K's case again, yet. It is now February, and I've left several msg's and none are returned.
Problem being now difficult child's 18, doesn't think she needs any testing let alone therapy...we are the evil ones who have the problem.
Now a new note: difficult child had the nerve to email me and ask me to lie to b/f parents (that she hasn't been at his apartment the entire last week) because they will stop paying his college tuittion even if she's no longer staying there. Did you get that? She wants me to LIE to another set of parents who have expectations from their son...
Of course, I responded that I won't lie for her, and the 2 of them will live with the consequences of their actions. The b/f knew the terms of his parents financial support, and bucked the rules anyway. Always, the truth comes out, and I am not willing to be at fault for being dishonest to them.
Some of you out there reading this may not see why we and the b/f parents are so adamant that they not live together....it's what we believe to be the best for their long term...if they marry, it raises the risk of divorce another 30%, if they even do marry. Those are provable statistics.
Overall, we need to come to a concensus that both of these 2 need to feel like they can be honest with us, even if we don't agree with their decisions. I am not going to tell the b/f parents how to support their son. That's their choice. However, even though we have very conservative views, and expect our daughter to think through her actions before acting on emotions, we understand that comes with maturity.
One of my goals is to make sure that she knows NO matter what, that she can be honest with me without fearing reprocussions. Her consequences at this age need to be enough. We have instilled all the values and code for living for her that we can...what she does from now on is her choice.
Side note" she did get approval from friends parents to stay with them...the stepdad is a retired cop...good...
They aren't giving her any chances, any of their rules broken, etc, etc, she is out.
there's so much more, but that's all I have the strength to share for now.
Thanks again all for your support, thoughts and advice...
it truly has been a god-send.:D

meowbunny

It sounds like things are going well, all things considered. Rather than being in a party house, she's opted to stay with a family that will protect her. This is truly good. How long she'll last there is another question.

No matter, we all have to live with our own moral code and act accordingly. I would not be thrilled if my daughter would live with a boy but I wouldn't be particularly upset if it was someone she had been seeing awhile and someone who had a decent work ethic and values and, of course, treated her well. But that's me.

I do agree you should not lie to the boyfriend's parent. I wouldn't volunteer the information but I would certainly tell the truth if asked. Hopefully, he will tell them himself. As for your daughter, it sounds like she is honest with you -- at least as honest as an 18 YO can be. (I'm not convinced that teens, especially immature ones, really can be 100% honest -- partly because they have to test the waters and partly to see what they can get away with. The majority get over this trait and become the type of adults we hope for. Some don't and always seek the easy way out. My gut feeling is your daughter will be in the majority.)

As strange as this sounds, you may not approve of what your daughter is doing but you can be proud that her basic choices have not been that bad -- no moving into a party house, still going to school, going to where she will be protected and helped. Even more importantly, be proud of the way you are handling all of this -- from the unemotional response to her news of where she was staying to detaching enough to make things more comfortable for your kids at home. You're doing great!

HeidiO

Hello all, came by to send this link to another mom of a difficult child, and felt the need to give a quick update on my posts from earlier this year....
it was tough,
real quick though...
difficult child didn't last long at the friend's house as suspected, she then did convince her 21 year old b/f to get an apartment together. Put both families in a tailspin, they moved in together in April, got a positive pregnancy test in May, she quit high school (sigh), things looked bleak

Many hours of discussion and such later, they did get engaged and we threw them a very nice wedding considering the time crunch and budget. They have been married over a month, baby due in January, son-in-law graduated college (looking for new job in field). difficult child not working, but back at alternative h/s to get her diploma (yeah)...they have had several months of counseling together and are continuing post-wedding counseling as well...
gotta say, really proud of my difficult child, and for the most part our relationship has improved GREATLY
there is light at the end of the tunnel all you weary parents, I don't know if anyone remembered me, but wanted to put a conclusion to my story...oh yeah, I will be a 38 year old grandma...now I am kind of getting excited, and it's a girl....

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi and Welcome! I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if I repeat something you have already heard.

Please don't judge your situation against others. It is fruitless. Your situation is bad enough you felt the need to search us out, so it IS 'bad enough' . Please don't ever not post because you feel that whatever is going on is not important enough based on what others' may post at that time. We don't JUDGE here. We support and offer advice when we can.

Sending many hugs (and hoping that was clear!)

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heidi

Thanks for the update. :D

I'm so glad things have turned around for difficult child and for you too. Wonderful that difficult child is back in school. (yeah!) Huge congrats on becoming a grandma. I became one for the first time at 36. lol And believe me, it's the most wonderful thing in the world. :D

I hope things continue to go well for difficult child and the new sister in law.

Hugs

meowbunny

Wow! Things certainly moved fast. All in all, though, it sounds like it is all good. Just think of it this way, you're much too young to be a grandmother, so you'll be young enough to really enjoy your grandchild (no aching bones when you pick her up or being exhausted after one hour at an amusement park when she's a tad older!).

While I know this wasn't the outcome you were hoping for, it sounds like the kids are trying to do the right thing. He's still graduating from college; she's trying to get her high school diploma. Those are HUGE.

So, enjoy your grandmotherhood and here's hoping things keep improving.

goldenguru

Hi Heidi-

Can't believe how much our stories are similar.

Conservative Christian family. Daughter doing the prodigal thing for many years. She got pregnant at 17 - married at 18. Our daughter has been married over a year - and for the most part is doing remarkably well - considering the hole she had to crawl out of.

Is it easy? No. Is is the best way to start married life? No. But, does God have a plan for their lives? You bet. If I didn't believe that I'd go crazy.

I will tell you that being a grandma is one of the greatest joys in my life (I was a grandma by 42). We love and adore those little girls!

Blessings to you and your family.