karebear

I was searching google for "help for parents with kids with adhd" and along the line was this forum. WOW, there are other parents out there who have similar challenges.

My 15.5 YO step-daughter has ADHD, some anxiety, we feel she has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (reactive attachment disorder) and is VERY immature for her age. I am totally frustrated. My husband and I have been married 10 years, and have 3 wonderful little ones together. His daughter moved in just over 2 years ago. We got her into thereapy, which just seems to be a whine and complain session for her. Not very helpful for us.

I seem to be the resident evil. And I KNOW I am reacting badly. I just honestly have no idea what to do and absolutley no support. Suppose to be going to a therapy session with husband and his daughter tomorrow.

BusynMember

Hi and welcome.
A few questions: Who diagnosed her?
Is she on medications?
Any psychiatric or neurological problems on the family tree? Substance abuse? Does SHE do any drugs or drink? Are you sure?
What sort of behavior do you see?
When you say you are reacting badly, what are you doing?

AllStressedOut

I don't have any advice, all my kids are younger. I'm sorry you are the resident evil in the house. I felt like that too when husband and I first married. Now I'm the nice mommy and he's the yelly daddy.

I hope the therapy session helps. You've found a great place filled with a bunch of people with both good advice and loving support. Welcome to the board!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Hi I aquired my difficult children via my husband. I don't know all of the circumstances but it can be very hard. You are used to parenting one way and now you will probably be asked to change that as difficult children are parented differently. Believe me when I say that was hard. Make sure you are on the same page as husband. It is a lengthy process and you have to be a team. I know in our case the reason I was the meany was husband was very non confrontational. Even with the kids. You may need to make a plan with him. If this therapist is not working you might check on others but first does she know why you have your difficult child going there. Sometimes they aren't even on the same page.

Good luck.

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ahhhhh, the joys of stepparenthood......

Welcome to the board. :grin:

It is difficult to suddenly find yourself parenting a teen when your own kids have yet to reach that level, even more so when that teen is a difficult child. And 15, in my opinion is a really bad age for girls. UGH

Hugs