Newfangled electronics, washing machines, refrigerators, alarms???

BusynMember

So I'm sitting here on the computer and I hear this loud alarm going off. There is always buzzing, alarms and other signals going off in Bart's house. THe problem is, I don't have new appliances and I don't how to turn them off or where they are coming from. Just washing my clothes is becoming a challenge as I try to figure out a "smart" washing machine???? Is that what they are called? I hope I didn't screw up any settings!!! I can't figure out the TV remote. He has three remotes for every TV and they all do different things so I asked him to put on my favorite channel and I'm keeping it on that one. Even turning up the volume is like "Let's Make a Deal." What remote do you use? Is it Remote #1? Remote #2? REmote #3?

Arrrrgh.

This time the annoying alarm was the refrigerator. I had to run all over the house looking for it. A button that says "water" was flashing. I opened and shut the "smart" refrigerator's doors and the alarm stopped.

AT least his coffee pot is somewhat familiar. And right now I think I need another cup!!!!!

I found out I am very unfashionable (or poor).

Jabberwockey

I found out I am very unfashionable (or poor).

Not really. We bought a higher end front loading washer and dryer a few years ago when my probably 20 year old set finally gave out. The washer is already making random weird beeping noises and the fabric softener wont release. I found out online that one of the control boards is going out. We unplug it when not in use and purchased a downy ball for the fabric softener. Will have it serviced when it gets serious. Will buy a more basic set next time. The more complicated you make it, the easier it is to break it!

Confused

Hang in there and no worries, I had no idea a refrigerator had an alarm until you just told us! Now I have to look it up because I never seen one! My cell phone I have had over two years, just now figured out where that tiny tiny sd card goes for more storage!

Ill have a cup of soda with you ...( not a coffee fan unless its a shake) Take care :)

BusynMember

:wootsmiley::wootsmiley::wootsmiley:OMG! The washing machine sings!!! Really! I was reading in the living room and I heard some music. "Not again," I thought so I started stalking the house. I stopped at the washing machine and sure enough it was flashing "End" while the music played. I took the clothes out and shut the door and it played a few happy notes then went dark. Then I put the clothes in the dryer, turned it on and the dryer sang a few happy notes. Shook my head and walked away.

Back in the living room, I can hear Bart's videogames playing at the same time as my TV show. That ticks me off. I have no idea how to turn off the videogame talking/music. And I'm not about to try. So if I want to watch my shows today, I have to go in the bedroom, which has a 55" TV for Junior (I'm in Junior's room for now). At least there is no music on that TV conflicting with the television. I have to say, Bart sure is a lot more into material stuff than I ever was. I never cared about the newest and the best or singing appliances. If they work, I'm good.

Ok, going back to relax until I hear something else singing and then I'll have to chase it down to see if I can turn it off

BusynMember

Well, I wish his didn't. Whenever something sings, I have to figure out what's singing to get it to stop. Oh, that must be the dryer. It just sang a few notes!!! Later!

BusynMember

LOLOL! As soon as I opened the dryer, it sang a long song that sounded familiar but I couldn't really place it. Must have been happy to have been done drying the clothes! They look and smell GREAT! Ah, technology.

These are not people singing. They are notes, much like a cell phone that is not set to a radio song version. Interesting...and annoying.

Scent of Cedar *

My washer and dryer sing. I love it. It's more like a happy little chime than a singing.

I feel like Cinderella, with the little birds all around as she whisks through the laundry.

:O)

Cedar

BusynMember

LOL! I hate it. It's high pitched and sounds electronic. I wonder why he sets it all to play. I'd think it would get on his nerves too. Brain fried from videogames? They're pretty noisy and shrill too, and he plays them all the time.

Warnings: Once your children move out, if they want to play videogames all day, you can't do anything about it.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh MWM you are cracking me up!!

When it comes to appliances I'm old school. Not that long ago I had to buy a new wasing machine, WOW there are some very fancy and very expensive machines out there. I could see the disappointment in the eyes of the salesman when I told him I wanted a plain washing machine, nothing digital, I want knobs that turn. He kept trying to convince me that a new "front loader" was the way to go. I told him my sister in-law has one that she hates because after a while it started to smell like mildew to which he replied, "there's a product you need to use that cleans the machine", at that point I started to laugh. I said, "seriously, it's a washing machine and you're telling me that I would have to purchase a different product to wash the washing machine?" I very politley told him "I want a basic machine, if you do not have one I will go elsewhere" He surrendered and showed me what I wanted.

I don't know how I would handle appliances that "sing" to you.

As long as it's just alarms and singing you'll be fine but if they start attacking RUN!!!!!!

Lil

The secret to a front-loader is to keep the door open, at least a crack, so it doesn't get mildew. I said that on some home-improvement site like Houzz and someone was all upset at the thought of having to leave the door open. Really? It's in the laundry room. I'm not going in there unless I plan on opening the door anyway, so why would I care if it's open?

Not that Jabber and I are good at basic maintenance of the machine other than that. We've had it several years and finally took out the little drawer to clean it.

EEeeeeewwWW! :wow: Apparently, you're supposed to clean it once a month...or more. I won't tell you how bad it is around the rubber seal. :beafraid:

I think I'd like it play music...but given how bad we are at keeping it clean...it might just play the creepy music from Phantom of the Opera.

muttmeister

OK, I'm 67 years old. I have a Masters Degree in computer related instructional technology so I'm not totally out of it and I TRY to keep up with some of the new-fangled stuff but it is getting to be just too much.
I got a new Droid to replace my Blackberry and I'm having a devil of a time learning how to work it all. I think I was better off when phones had dials and if you wanted to write to someone you used paper and a stamp.
I don't want a washer and drier that have minds of their own or that sing songs to me.
I enjoy my satellite radio and my OnStar driving directions but I don't want a car that drives itself or parks itself or talks to me.
Siri makes me crazy!
I don't need to set my thermostat from work.
I can barely use my remote to watch TV; I can record shows and watch them but, even though they are hooked up (I think) I still haven't figured out, since I moved, how to run the DVD player or the tape player. Before I moved, I had the directions written down and I had to refer to them everytime I used them but, so far, I haven't been able to watch any of them here (I've lived here a year and a half).

Technology is great when it solves an actual problem but it seems to me that a lot of this stuff is just an excuse to charge us extra money up front and then charge us again when we can't figure out how to use it and then charge us again when it breaks down as it inevitably does. In the old days, you could fix most things yourself. Fat chance of doing that now!

I'll crawl back under my rock now. LOL

BusynMember

One thing I like about the cell phones (and, yes, I'm learning to text and am getting good at it) is that I can always reach my kids fast. No matter what they're doing, they'll answer a text. It's better to me than when we used to hope they were home and the phone rang and rang and we worried where they are.

witzend

Not really. We bought a higher end front loading washer and dryer a few years ago when my probably 20 year old set finally gave out. The washer is already making random weird beeping noises and the fabric softener wont release. I found out online that one of the control boards is going out. We unplug it when not in use and purchased a downy ball for the fabric softener. Will have it serviced when it gets serious. Will buy a more basic set next time. The more complicated you make it, the easier it is to break it!
Here's what you do about a control board going out if you don't know which one it is. Call a service guy. He'll come out and say, "It's this particular control board. I can replace it for you for $400." Your eyes will bug out and you'll say "Oh, my! I don't know if my husband will want to do that! Can you leave me an estimate?" Or you can just go with "I'm sorry, there's no way we can afford that right now." Either way, make sure you know exactly which board he's talking about.

Then, go online to www.newegg.com and order that board for $35 - $65 and pop it in there. They usually snap in and snap out. You're good to go.

Scent of Cedar *

I think I'd like it play music...but given how bad we are at keeping it clean...it might just play the creepy music from Phantom of the Opera.

I hate doing laundry. I think Phantom of the Opera music would be way appropriate for the laundry room.

I will be thinking that music, next time I go in there.

Cedar

So, I realized I hate laundry because I don't do it well. The whites turn gray down here no matter what I do. I am not a good stain-removing person, either.

I no longer iron things, except at the last minute.

It's that perfectionism thing again.