Next shot at letter to PO...(LONG)

klmno

Ok, after starting with a 6 page vent and spending much time thinking about how to approach this and somewhat deciding it's similar to the way the sd used to deal with things before I became a warrior mom, I am down to a more subtle 2 page letter to the PO. This is still a draft but I thought it would be a good time to get comments if anyone would be kind enough! Please remember, if I wait until difficult child is released from Department of Juvenile Justice and I can't make things work, the ONLY option at that point is DSS which means my bro. (Of course if difficult child messes up, he'll go back into incarceration.) By addressing this now, it is up to Department of Juvenile Justice to find difficult child placement- ie, group home TFC, etc. And there is still a glimmer of hope that the PO will negotiate some of these requirements so that difficult child can come home and do the most important things but forget the other things. I'm trying hard to take my bad attitutde out but still convey how riduculous some of this looks to me. LOL! (CSU means court services unit- this would be parole and probation officers, mst, etc, but not the court itself.)

I am writing to follow up on the conversation we had earlier this summer regarding difficult child's placement and parole requirements once he is released from incarceration. As you know, he might be released in XXX for good behavior and I am very concerned about difficult child having the best opportunity to keep improving once he returns to the community. Primarily, I want to make sure that we do not end up with the same situation we had last year that lead to his latest offense.

It is my understanding that difficult child and I have signed an agreement stating that the current plan is for him to return home upon his release and that he will have 30 days of house arrest, a mentor spending time with him for an undetermined amount of time, monthly appointments with you, and be required to get a job. Additionally, this plan can change prior to his release, afterwards you will add to these requirements as you deem appropriate, and mental health therapy for difficult child will probably be required. Since difficult child is not old enough to have a driver's license, I will be responsible for getting him to all these appointments unless you can get transportation provided and you have indicated not to expect much, if any, assistance in that area.

Further, I understand that it is my responsibility to keep you informed of any issues regarding difficult child, plans for him to return home, and my ability to meet your requirements. Therefore, I am letting you know now that I am a single parent and simply cannot work the full-time hours necessary to financially support difficult child while accommodating a mentor's, a therapist's, another employer's, and your schedules, along with taking care of the typical motherly duties such as making sure difficult child is prepared for school, getting him to doctors as necessary, attending IEP meetings, and addressing household chores. As you are aware, I am currently unemployed due to trying to accommodate everyone's expectations last year and since we have been following orders for over three years, I do not believe that having an increased amount of orders from CSU is the answer.

Conversely, I am sure that the hardship created by the additional demands contributes to the problems for difficult child and me, both individually and with our relationship. Therefore, I am asking you to prioritize the various things you believe difficult child needs because I simply cannot provide them all. I would ask that you weigh the importance of keeping the family together along with whether or not another available placement where all the orders for services and appointments can be met is actually a safer and better environment. I personally believe that it would be detrimental to difficult child to be placed in an environment where there is potential for neglect or abuse of any kind but it would also be detrimental for him to return to a situation where the expectations on us are more than we can feasibly meet then have to leave home again, regardless of who gets blamed for it. It would appear to me that if people are so sure that all these services and monitoring will rehabilitate difficult child enough that it is not worth him returning home yet and there is an available placement where nothing detrimental is likely to happen to him, that he should be placed where these things can be accommodated, then return home. If the priority is family reunification upon release then we need supports that focus on our specific problems instead of increasing our stressors and hardships, and that would require understanding our specific difficulties including being more concerned about me being available to work full time hours at a job where I can get benefits, such as medical insurance for difficult child and myself, than whether or not difficult child can get a job at 15 years old.

Specifically, if you want to make sure difficult child does something constructive with his time when school is not in session, shouldn't the requirements be supportive of his academic and career goals and not interfere with my job requirements if they are expected to be effective? There are trained therapeutic mentors; wouldn't it be more feasible to provide one person for the mentoring and therapy instead of ordering both? If his primary needs require funding for mental health treatment that is not available to CSU, then shouldn't someone be advocating for him to be released from CSU so we can have access to those funds through other agencies and let a mental health case manager monitor his progress? If there are going to be requirements for difficult child regarding school behavior, shouldn't they be supportive of his IEP instead of changing the IEP to fit parole requirements, especially since the IEP has been effective for the past two years? Also, if difficult child is on house arrest for the first thirty days after he's released, will he be able to leave with me to do necessary things like shop for school clothes and go to the grocery store and to run errands with me so that he's not left at home alone and unsupervised, or are you expecting me to somehow keep him supervised constantly and still get these things accomplished?

While I don't question your authority to order services and place various requirements on difficult child while he is on parole, I do ask that the focus remain on what is in his best interest and what offers him the best chance for functioning in mainstream without engaging in further illegal activity and self-destructive behavior. In order for this to be successful, I believe there needs to be a mutual agreement between you, the guardian ad litem, and whomever is going to be difficult child's caretaker about what services and requirements address his specific areas of difficulty. I understand that the people in the legal system believe they already know what should be ordered, however, it is impossible to know what is in difficult child's best interest if the decision makers do not understand the specific problems that we have had while difficult child is living in the community and if they are not comfortable trusting the reports from the parent. I am a lot more interested in having rational discussions about these issues and coming to an agreement about more feasible ways to achieve the objectives than I am in trying to have a control battle with anyone in the legal system but as long as the people in CSU view the parent as part of the problem rather than someone that needs their support shown to the child, this obviously can't happen.

DammitJanet

OK...I think you have many valid points. One thing that you may want to take out is the part about house arrest because he can be left unsupervised on house arrest because he is 15 years old and house arrest is house arrest and he certainly is old enough to know what that means. He most probably will have an ankle monitor anyway. You wont be doing the supervising, the ankle monitor will. At 15, he is old enough to stay home alone.

I think I would ask that they table the job thing until summer vacation anyway. At that point he can attempt to locate a job within walking or biking distance, or maybe on the bus route. Good experience for him. I think he will be 16 by then too.

Plead with them for the mentor. Tell them that you think that is something that has never been tried that you believe has the good possibility of a positive outcome for a teen boy with no positive male role model. Build on that in a big way if you can because it could be your biggest asset.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
K---

My first impression is that your letter is very wordy....and I admit that my eyes began to glaze as I read it.

I think you need to shorten your sentences, use simpler words and even bullet-point your main arguments. I can't imagine too many people giving your argument a thorough read, and so you need to ensure that your point is clear--even in a brief perusal of this letter.

Just my two cents...

--DaisyFace

klmno

I think you need to shorten your sentences, use simpler words and even bullet-point your main arguments. I can't imagine too many people giving your argument a thorough read, and so you need to ensure that your point is clear--even in a brief perusal of this letter

Yeah, I know. It's something I struggle with when I've started with writing things out just to vent. That's why it has taken me a month to get this from 6 pages to two. LOL! I'll keep working on it.

I think I would ask that they table the job thing until summer vacation anyway. At that point he can attempt to locate a job within walking or biking distance, or maybe on the bus route. Good experience for him. I think he will be 16 by then too.

difficult child will be 15 then (he's 14 now) and we aren't even near a bus route. The retail and business area closest to us (within 5 miles) is on a road that's way too busy for riding a bike on and we have no sidewalk. difficult child wants to be a vet and that means lots of college. I want to can the job requirement because it is meant for the older teens to make sure they are employable when they get out of high school. Under our situation when difficult child isn't even old enough to drive, I think it's pointless as long as he's doing something constructive when school isn't in session. difficult child and I have even discussed him going to summer school to get ahead academicaly and take driver's ed. I could use my lunch hour to transport him back home or to someplace else (even a job or volunteeer work at an animal place) and pick him up after work.

Anyway, the main point was that it is preferable for many reasons to discuss options that meet the PO's objective instead of just ordering typical things and giving me the attitutde that it's my problem to figure out how to do it, like the probation officer did. I wouldn't care so much if difficult child was able to accommodate the requirements without my involvement but at his age he can't. I do think though, that difficult child has a better chance of succeeding if the requirements support the few constructive goals/ambitions he has.

Plead with them for the mentor. Tell them that you think that is something that has never been tried that you believe has the good possibility of a positive outcome for a teen boy with no positive male role model. Build on that in a big way if you can because it could be your biggest asset.

Agreed and already done the first time PO brought it up. LOL! If he'd get one trained for therapuetic mentoring it would be great (and can the therapist), however, I think he's getting one who is more of an extension of the PO because of course, that's what Department of Juvenile Justice funding covers. This is my issue with the system- they want to "take over" all aspects of the kid's life but then don't address all the needs. The PO gave me the name of the company contracted by them and I looked it up. The mentor does show up and visit difficult child and occasionally might take him somewhere, but it specifically describes him as someone trained to assists PO's in monitoring the kid and stuff like that. Not that this can't be useful, too, but a therapuetic mentor could do a lot more good and still report to the PO if difficult child was where he should be, compliant, etc.

Thanks for the comments! Any others?

Last edited:

DammitJanet

What if his "job" per se in the summer was something that would be good for him, help him, keep him busy, and actually keep him occupied. I am thinking some sort of camp counselor type situation. Most rec depts or church camps or even other type camps need jr counselors to help the older counselors with the kids. I would ask the PO if it would be ok if this was his Job...then get on the internet and apply, apply apply for difficult child to get a job at some sleepaway camp as a counselor. Find somewhere that needs a kid to work with other kids.

klmno

That's what I'm hoping for. I don't care if it's at the Y, volunteer work at SPCA, or anything else as long as it's managable with our sschedules- primarily my work schedule. But, really, these people in CSU have not been reasonable about stuff like this. They want to hand out an order and tell me to have difficult child there. Period. And if I say I can't, I have repeatedly been told that it's my problem and I'll be taken to court for non compliance otherwise. I swear, it's been me that's treated like the delinquent and what will this lead to if I bring difficult child home under those circumstances again? That;'s exactly why I want this worked out now but I know I have to handle it delicately.

I am willing to negotiate these things out- I just am not seeing signs yet that PO is. I know GAL does not do anything but back up what others in the system say and she never even checks anything out to see if it's true or resonable or anything else.

The PO last year told me she wanted difficult child supervised 24/7 and she, nor her super, cared if it cost me my job or not, which it did. Then I tried to get assistance from DSS, difficult child went nutty when I told him, I got trashed in court and difficult child was sent to Department of Juvenile Justice. Ok, that's rehashing. LOL! They just seem to be more interested in being on a power trip than in really rehabilitating the kid, to me. I've heard others say stuff like that about this county Department of Juvenile Justice so I might just be moving and hoping for the best.