Nichole's Epiphone

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole had her first clinical friday evening in the ER.

Now anyone who's ever had clinicals in the medical field knows that they aren't exactly pleasant and most students dread it. This is due to the fact you're a nervous wreck and you suddenly don't feel like you know a darn thing they taught you. been there done that many times over the years.

When Nichole came in after midnight I expected to see an exhausted girl that I'd have to boost back up to go to the next clinical.

Instead she walked in with her eyes bright and this glow about her features and a huge grin on her face. You'd have thought xmas had come early. I asked her how it went. She said it was wonderful. She even wished they were busier than they were. lol Then she told me all about it. Most exciting for her was the guy who came in hemorrhaging from a nosebleed. They had to keep putting tampons in his nose it was so bad and call in the ENT guy to cauterize the artery that had ruptured.

Then Nichole announced that not only does she want to get her degree in EMT, but she wants to crack the books harder than ever so she can get into the RN program after the EMT so she can work in the ER and in the squad both.

She can't wait untl her next clinical, and is trying hard to get in squad time before the end of the quarter.

I told her it's the best thing in the world to get to work at something you love. She said Yup, Mom, it sure is. :D

Wow. :D :D

Fran

Former desparate mom
Lisa, it's exciting that N has enjoyed her first clinical. Most staff are appreciative of students when students actually know what they are doing or are properly supervised and prepared. Other than that, they tend to get in the way, goof up or leave messes that the staff has to clean up in addition to their normal workload.

It may be a little early for N to already plan a switch in life plan. Once she finishes and works full time for 6 months then she will be in a more realistic place to add more education and switch into a different aspect of er practice. It's good to see her motivated but most difficult child's start off excited and then split their focus or drop the current interest for the next pursuit. It's maturity and self discipline that teaches adults how to achieve by finishing one thing. Following through on the original plan and working at the sometimes boring, mundane work that health care can and will be is important fact for her to realize. It's not the constant drama, excitiement, success that is portrayed for tv.
Once she has completed what she has began and can be self supporting then she can pursue the next step. Jumping from one goal to the next without seriously mastering the one in hand makes for success at neither. Her self confidence will not be based on her actual success and progress but always on what she percieves the future may bring to her.

Of course, seeing a difficult child motivated is wonderful. Helping her to pace herself and to refocus on what she is doing will help keep the motivation directed appropriately.
Her goal is self fulfillment and self support and not the eternal student but kids sometime lose that focus. My son's do.

everywoman

Wow. What a great experience for her. I know how important it is to find your passion and be able to work in that field. Congratulations. Great things are on the horizon for Nicole!!

trinityroyal

What a wonderful experience. It does sound like great things are on the horizon for Nichole.

Working at a job you love is absolutely the best. I agree with Fran, that she should finish this qualification and work at it for a while before deciding whether she wants to get her RN qualification as well. Don't want her to lose her passion for the work by over-burdening herself.

This board auntie is very proud of our Nichole!

Trinity

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Honestly, I'm just thrilled the kid didn't discover that she hated what she's chosen to do. lol Which was my original worry. I didn't want her taking on a career in the medical field just because it's basically the family "business". (my Mom and sis are both LPNs, easy child is an RN, and 2 neices also work in the field)

I don't see doing the paramedic and RN as being incompatible. Probably because of how our school is. There is no way she can do them both at the same time even if she wanted to. They are seperate degree programs.

However, once she gets her degree in the paramedic, she'll have all the classes required for RN except for the actual nursing classes themselves completed. So it wouldn't be difficult if that's still what she wants to do.

Nichole never said she wanted to change tracks. Just that adding an RN degree in the future is something she's seriously considering. This to me is huge as up until a month ago she refused to believe that she was smart enough to even consider the RN program.

I love seeing her new confidence, the sense of accomplishment, her joy that is not linked in any way to boyfriend. She so needs this, all of it, to discover who she is apart from him. :)

donna723

I think it's GREAT that she's so excited and so motivated about it! It makes all the difference in the world to be doing something she loves. Sounds like she's really cut out for it. Here's another board auntie that's very proud of her!

Last edited:

Jena

hi

I'm sorry i'm so late to this, wow that's great though!! She seems so passionate about it, that is truly great!!

:)

mstang67chic

Going Green
That's great! Good for her!!!!!

And any other epiphene's in the works with her lately????? Nothing specific but maybe....just as an example mind you...maybe about good guys vs. manipulative toads?

F

flutterbee

Great news! I'm very happy for Nichole. And for you!

I bet you never thought you'd see this 5 years ago.

Lisa,

What wonderful news!!! Way To Go Nichole!!! I hope she continues to love her chosen field of work. I agree - It's wonderful that she is finding herself and not having all her happiness and satisfaction center around her boyfriend.

Thanks for sharing happy news. I'm a very, very proud board "auntie." WFEN

katya02

Solace
Wow, that's exciting! I've noticed that people tend to either love the ER or hate it, right up front, and they don't change their opinions much with further experience. So it's hopeful that this IS something Nichole will continue to love doing, which is good for both paramedic and RN work.

Good to hear such great news!