NJ Special Education's new initiative

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Seems NJ's Special Education Board is on the war path.

All public Special Education departments are now refusing out of district placement (more then ever b4) and also kids are being pulled out of "out of district" schools and returned to "appropriatley equal" public school classes that are far from appropriatley equal! The head of our Special Education department said they've taken parents who refuted having their kids pulled from out of district to court and won!

I am feeling hopeless about ever having difficult child II placed out of district now!

Martie

I know this is frustrating, and it is possible to change policies at the state level. However, all student changes of placement must go through a legally constituted IEP team. If either party has a problem with the decision, then the next step is mediation or a Due Process Hearing. Only after all administrative remedies have been exhausted may a petition be filed in federal court. If it is filed prematurely, it will be thrown out.

There are very specific procedures governing Sp. Ed. and all parties must follow the rules if the arena is going to be enlarged beyond the local level. SD cut corners all the time with parents and walk all over the law if you don't advocate for yo child. However, DP hearing officers and judges generally take a dim view of violating the law (and perjury--there's a lot of that, too.)

Martie

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
thank you it seems they are dragging these poor parents to court and forcing their agenda though threw. I am going Occupational Therapist (OT) try to gear up over the summer for next years battle

nvts

Hey Kid! I'm over in Staten Island and here's a bit of advice. In NYC, there's a group called Advocates for Children. Get their number via info (sorry I don't have it handy, but I'm running like a nut today!). I was told once that they can give you info on free advocates in NJ.

Let me know how it goes or if you want me to try to dig up some dirt for you!

Beth