No changes, which is surprisingly hard all on its own!

Lil

But my son doesn't live like that. He thinks everyone should be able to live 'free'. He's built a treehouse, lives without running water or electricity or anything else, doesn't pay rent or bills. He lives totally without money much of the time. He's self-sufficient, subsists on 'stuff' that's been thrown away by supermarkets in our wasteful, consumerist society, makes use of random junk that he finds discarded. That's his philosophy.

I think I could live with that, it wouldn't be easy, but still, if he's a decent, honest person I could come to terms with it. I know your worries for your son too and how hard it's been to have "radical acceptance". But you know, he cares about something. He has ideals. That's something. No, I wouldn't want my son to live in a tree. :) But he talked about living "off the grid" before...and it's a thing anymore. I'd deal. I'm dealing now. But if I thought he was really happy or at least content with his situation ... or had a reason! ... I'd deal better.

Echolette

Lucy, I tried to send you a message in your inbox but it says I'm not allowed to do so...but at least I wanted you to know I tried!

I clicked throught those photos...that is an interesting project! Of course part of me thought I might see my son...but I didn't.

Lil, I know what you mean. For a while my son lived with the Occupy movement..it seemed like he had a sense of purpose and community that made him happy, whole. I felt good about that. Maybe it was more about me, that I could say he was doing something..it was kind of fun because Occupy wasn't a thing that most of my peers supported, so I got to feel kind of radical myself (even fully clothed) which was fun. But I think it was because I really believe that people need those things..purpose and community. My son told me once that he wanted to live in a stable situation with people who were striving ...whether pursuing their art, studying, or somethings else. He didn't care if they were making a living, he wanted them to be engaged. That was a rare moment of lucidity, that I hold on to. I don't even know if he still wants that, or if it was just a passing thing.

Echo

nlj

I had a box unticked. Conversations should work now.

My son told me once that he wanted to live in a stable situation with people who were striving ...whether pursuing their art, studying, or somethings else. He didn't care if they were making a living, he wanted them to be engaged. That was a rare moment of lucidity, that I hold on to. I don't even know if he still wants that, or if it was just a passing thing.
Maybe he's still searching.
Mine was lost for years.
I still think he's lost, but I don't think he does.

Scent of Cedar *

It is good to feel these things myself. It helps me take a step closer to not judging.

I think this is what it feels like to be stronger. There is one less layer of denial or something.

I don't know if it can make us strong enough.

I am still inordinately happy to see you again.

:hugs:

:grouphugg:

Lil

I saw my son today after talking with the prosecutor on his shoplifting charge (another thread) and told him much of what I said earlier, that I feel like he's drifting. He doesn't have to be a banker...he just has to take care of himself, take care of his life, that I'm trying to stay out of his business...but he needs to take care of business. It wasn't a bad visit...even though the subject matter was his court case.

Now I'm home, drinking coffee (with a splash of brandy - don't judge - my Irish Cream is like a year old) and I'm okay...I'm dealing. We all deal.

:grouphugg:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
ECHO, I thought of this thread when I saw this........I believe it to be true......it's beautifully stated too......

10991429_773075559433204_8033104173754624807_n.jpg