no insurance, need medications!

JenI

Hi. My husband got laid off, now we have no insurance. How do I get my boys' medications, without breaking our already empty bank? Any suggestions?

O

OTE

There's some kind of glitch with this forum tonight so I can't see old posts. There are old posts on this... don't have time to do all of the options again right now.

Ask your social services SW for a list of places they can refer you to for medication assistance. Usually catholic charities and other charities.

O

OTE

Well all the old posts on this are gone.

1. Check your state program for medicaid for children... NOT the regular medicaid if you're over those incvome and aset limits. The children's programs have lower limits.

2. Ask social services for a list of places they recommend trying.

3.needymeds.com will refer you to the pharma company that makes each medication that you need. You'll then need to fill out an application for each company. each has different rules about income and assets and a differnet procedure for getting them neds. it's cumbersome when you have a lot of medications but it works.

4. local charities. ask your religious affiliation. ask their state social service agency. Call your local United Way and ask for a referral to some place that they know. Ask your doctor's office and pharmacist what programs they know of. Ask the dr if he/she can get samples. Call your local hospital sw dept and ask what they knowe of. Find the local clinics that take Medicaid and ask what they know of. Call every local homeless shelter, battered women's place, etc and ask their social workers.

Bottom line is that you're not alone in this. I know it seems impossible in the beginning... I was off medications for awhile myself. But make a few calls a day if you can't handle it all at once. I promise you that there are thousands of others in your state if not your town in the same position. Just keep looking till you find the right place.