No luck with-Rozerem & sleep -- upping the Depakote

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 2 has had NO help from the Rozerem he started about a week and a half ago. He is still falling asleep after 11pm (going to his bed about 8:30-9:00pm) and sometimes up until 1am or later, despite getting up for school at 6:45am and typically taking a solid 10-12 hours of sleep when left undisturbed. by the way, I learned that Rozerem is essentially a refined form of melatonin, which is why it is non-habit forming. No matter, though, cuz it didn't work for him.

Anyway...He's also still having meltdowns at the end of the day, and occasional angry outbursts, which I had attributed to the Daytrana making him irritable. I was in to see the psychiatrist yesterday for myself and mentioned these things. He told me to increase the Depakote ER another 250mg and said it should help both the sleep and the emotional piece, so here goes :smile:

Tonight will be his second dose at 1,000mg Depakote ER, so please keep fingers/toes/eyes crossed that by the weekend he's blissfully asleep at a reasonable hour and no longer exploding in the afternoons!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sara, that's what I thought, too. But the explosive anger would happen while he was still on the stims, not so much after the patch was off in the evening. And he is often awake for 6+ hours after the patch comes off -- I don't see this kind of effect at all in difficult child 1 who is also on the patch. It's usually out of HIS system within two hours tops.

Anyway, all we can do is give this a try. psychiatrist said I should see changes within 5 to 6 days, maybe sooner. I'll keep you posted!