No politics but...

BusynMember

I'm in a battleground state. I didn't find the campaigns so gentlemanly :)
Today, in my conservative county, a man was riding his bike around while holding the flag. People are deeply moved and I know by the signs that only about half the people here voted for President-Elect Obama.

Andy

Local levels may have gotten ugly but the national level (commercials, ect) I found to be very much cleaner than in years past. The mud slinging was kept very minimal on that level that I was subject to.

We had a very ugly race for Senate and it will be a few weeks until that one is settled. I say get rid of both of them because the attacks were very ugly and uncalled for.

It was refreashing to be able to hear more of the actual issues this year and not the bad person someone is (they are both good men, just different ideas).

It is very important for all our leaders to stand up and demand a no mud slinging campaign. They really should be able to win or loose on their platforms not on how the other side think of them.

Nancy

Gave me chills up my spine. It truly was history in the making. I was moved to tears watching all those people in Gordon Park. I am so proud.

I am filled with optimism and hope, even in these difficult economic times.

I actually found this to be the nastiest campaign I have ever witnessed and I'm afraid it divided this country severly. Perhaps this is because I too live in a battleground state that was considered necessary for victory, so we were inundated with ads and rallies. My hope is that this division dissipates over time. But the rhetoric I am seeing and hearing from many of our young people around here is very disturbing. Some of it is actually illegal and will hopefully land those people in legal trouble. We cannot tolerate that kind of rhetoric ever again.

husband and I couldn't wait until difficult child got home from school to see what was discussed in American Government yesterday....nothing. They had a recruiter from one of the armed forces. What better an opportunity to teach our young people about their government? I am so disgusted that I'm thinking of contacting the school to find out why this subject was ignored.

Nancy

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yesterday morning, my brother in law and I were talking about how amazing the win was...how great it was that so many people, especially the younger voters, were so motivated to not only get out their vote but to work on campaigns. I mean the work that was done in all parties was amazing.

One thing that my brother in law noted while watching the coverage, on line, on tv and in the paper, was that [we] as people who don't see others in terms of their color really have no idea how disenfranchised the majority of black people have continued to feel. We do business with people from so many international countries and backgrounds that it really doesn't occur to us to see people or hear poeple in terms of what they look like or what they sound like, etc.

Certainly, it goes without saying that, history was made, but at the bare roots of it all - there is such deep meaning for so many.

We live in this small little pocket of [mostly] liberal America and this election has really brought to light just how large and small America is to all of us. We know the history, heck, we remember large parts of it from our childhoods...but the reactions were simply an amazing thing to watch.

I hope that history highlights Obama's Presidential contributions to our country rather than just his historic election to Presidency as an African-American.

Witz, a few people in our office are very upset at the outcome and have been very vocal about it - to the point that I had to ask them to please keep their comments to themselves. It's not that they aren't entitled to their reactions, but their comments have no place in our office as they have been very offensive across the board.

I hope I'm alive to see our first Mrs. President and her First Gentleman in the white house! I think I'd just about pee my pants!

F

flutterbee

It was a very nasty campaign - more so from one side than the other. I'm in Ohio, too, though so maybe we saw more of that because of our status as a battleground state. There was nothing 'gentlemanly' about it.

I was moved to tears Tuesday night. It was truly momentous. I have a lot more hope for our country than I did a week ago.

We've come a long way, baby.

Fran

Former desparate mom
A woman for president. That's where I want to go. :cutie_pie:Can you just imagine what the rhetoric will be then? Sheesh. We will need tough skin.

I tend to believe that those who are upset is because of the difference between conservative and liberal agenda's. My president elect is as much caucasian as aftican american. People see what they want to see. Hopefully it will eventually be a non issue. We need inspiration. I have voted both conservative and liberal in the past and will continue to vote independently of any party preference.

History being made seems to be the opposite of apathy. We need that stimulus.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I have to say also that I feel so bad for President-elect Obama. Not only did he win the presidency but he made history as the first black president and the DAY before, his grandmother passed away. It's such a shame she didn't make it just another day or two so she could see what her grandson accomplished.

donna723

It is a shame that she died right before the election and didn't get to see him win. But they said she did get to vote by absentee ballot and even though she died before the actual election day, her ballot would be counted.

One thing that will be nice - to have young children living in the White House again! I was trying to remember how long it's been ... most of the presidents' children have been teenagers. How old was Amy Carter when Jimmy Carter was elected? Am I forgetting somebody?

We're all taking bets on what kind of puppy they will get!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My Father called from Mexico and said everyone was celebrating the win and partying!!!
Even though as a whole AZ is conservative, down here near the border, they are pretty liberal. I think there was some celebrations.

SRL

It was a very nasty campaign - more so from one side than the other. I'm in Ohio, too, though so maybe we saw more of that because of our status as a battleground state. There was nothing 'gentlemanly' about it..

The candidates could afford to remain gentlemanly if they chose because they had a whole slew of staff, surrogates, and assorted media pundits to do the dirty work.