No SS benefits from dead dad after in-vitro--great "think piece"

JJJ

in my humble opinion no way should she qualify for SS benefits. If someone is pg PRIOR to the death of the father, then absolutely. But this child was concieved with the full knowledge that there would not be a father available to support her.

DammitJanet

I agree with JJJ. This child was born using stored sperm with the mother knowing full well that she would get no support from the father. This would be no different than a person going to a sperm bank and attempting to get child support or death benefits from a donor.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have to agree.

If he and his spouse were married the required length of time, the spouse should get the death benefit. But the child? Well, yes, the sperm was stored, but the child was conceived AFTER he died. The man had no opportunity to PLAN for providing for a child that didn't exist even.

This seems rather black and white, to me.

FWIW? If something were to happen to husband tomorrow? I would 1) adopt O and J as soon as possible; 2) try the IVF again, we have 4 frozen; and 3) not expect a flippin' PENNY for death benefits from husband, for a child he doesn't even have.