No summer job for me

Californiablonde

Never did get that district summer job I was promised. By the time I found out they had no work for me, it was already the end of July. I scrambled around trying to get a job at a temp agency, with no luck. I am now in debt up to my eyeballs. I am haggling with my bank and my car insurance companies to perhaps skip a payment this month and pay double next. My bank said yes, my car insurance says no.

I had no money for this month's rent at all. Child support pays a couple small bills and a little food. I have been going to the food bank all summer for free food, and they provide one night's worth of dinner and two days or so of lunches and snacks. At that place I can go once a week. Our local church only allows us to go once a month, and they provide about as much food as the food bank does.

To say we're struggling is an understatement. My mom told me to walk down to my leasing office and see if they could make me a deal on paying a late rent payment. I already knew they wouldn't. We are on a month to month lease. I was right, they wouldn't. Not only will they evict me within 10 days, but they will also charge me $700 worth of legal fees. My mom finally caved in when she realized we had no other option than to live in our car. She is paying this month's rent, thank goodness.

However, starting with my first paycheck, I am to pay her $400 a month. I am already living paycheck to paycheck, but what other choice do I have? Today is my first day back to work at my regular job. I get my first paycheck on the 24th. That seems like a loooong ways away, but I am happy to be earning something, even though I hate it here.

If one more person tells me, "Welcome Back," I am going to slap them. I really don't wanna be here!!! Today is slow. Tuesday when the students get here is going to be pure hell. Two straight weeks of calling and calling all these parents and family members of the students who have moved over the summer and didn't even tell us.

And yes, there are many, and we leave voicemail after voicemail after voicemail, and we have to make the same calls day after day till we get a response. Trying not to think about that now. Will try and enjoy my 3 day weekend. And then there's that crap of a mess of the relationship I was in. Still bothers me. Blahhh.....

pigless in VA

CB,

You found a way to survive. Hang in there. Look at the "Welcome backs" as people who are glad to see you. Sorry about all the phone calls. I wouldn't like that either. Just another chore to pay the bills.

Californiablonde

Thank you both. Yesterday I felt a few tears leaking out of my eyes at work, but I was able to pull myself together. I have to, at least for the work week, keep it together, and I can go home Friday night and collapse in a heap of tears if I have to. Friday is also my birthday, and I won't be celebrating it this year, for the first time in many years. My mom usually takes me out to a nice dinner, but this year I really needed a pair of jeans, so I asked her for a gift card instead. She gave it to me early, so I am now wearing some really cute jeggings and I love them. Anyway, we won't be doing anything that night, so I am trying to talk my mom into taking my daughter just for Friday, so I can have a night to myself. My son will be at his dad's. I think I can make it through this week. Today is almost over and then I just have two days left. I think I can make it!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh sweetie, sometimes life just throws us so many curve balls it's tough to keep standing. I know how you feel....just continue putting one foot in front of the other and at some point, you will be in a different place.

I remember your birthday being in September because mine is as well. Happy birthday CB. Enjoy your new jeans and hopefully, a night to yourself. I'll be thinking of you and sending you love and birthday wishes on Friday.

You can make it.....we're here for you.....you're not alone......

Sending a really big hug......

Californiablonde

Well my mom is going to take her for the night. Woohoo! With her rapid cycling, my daughter has been almost impossible to deal with lately. a couple coworkers got me a some small gifts this year, which I thought was really sweet. My dad, I think, has disowned me again, for unknown reasons this time, so no birthday wishes from him. No biggie. That was too be expected. Thank you for your birthday wishes!

Lil

CB I haven't been on the watercooler for quite a while, so just saw this. I'm sorry you have had such a trying summer, but now you're back to work and I know things will work out.

Happy belated birthday. Mine was the 6th!
:hapBday:

Californiablonde

CB I haven't been on the watercooler for quite a while, so just saw this. I'm sorry you have had such a trying summer, but now you're back to work and I know things will work out.

Happy belated birthday. Mine was the 6th!
:hapBday:
Happy belated birthday to you too!

Californiablonde

Thank you all for your wishes. Sorry I'm just getting back online now. Crazy last few weeks, as I'm sure you can imagine. Things are finally slowing down a bit, although yesterday really tried my patience. My birthday ended up better than expected. My mom decided to take me out anyway, and we went to one of my favorite restaurants with my daughter and my stepdad (son was at his dad's.) Then I had the whole night to myself, which I decided to mostly SLEEP! Not too exciting, but it was much needed. Anyway, birthday went pretty darn good and just wanted to share about it.

AppleCori

Glad things are going better at work!

Many teachers I have known that took jobs over the summer worked at departments stores/boutiques/coffee shops etc. most would go back to the same place every year, so they didn't have to worry about finding new work every summer.

Sorry the district promised you a job that didn't come through. That was not right.

How are you doing?