Non stimulating ADHD medication?

Nomad

Staff member
heard there is a medication for ADHD that isn't a stimulant. Anyone know what it is or have experience?
Thank you.

HMBgal

Maybe Intuniv? Or Strattera? We've tried both, but didn't work out for us. I didn't increase or help with focus for dear grandson, but your mileage may vary (and probably will).

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's Strattera. Technically an anti-depressant, it shows less than a 40% success rate with ADHD patients, as well as having a lot of side-effects.

Nomad

Staff member
Ok. I kinda thought so but was very unsure. I wonder if it tends to trigger children that are thought to possibly be Bipolar.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It certainly did trigger me. I was originally diagnosed with depression and ADHD. When it was found that I couldn't tolerate stims, Straterra was trialed. It was not pretty. I do have ADD, but do not take medications for it as I cannot tolerate them.

KTMom91

Strattera was all right for Miss KT, not great, but not bad. Hubby was a mess on Strattera, even after I'd ramped him up to correct dosage (it's weight dependent). Major mood swings, deep depressions, completely illogical...I'd tracked his dosage and behaviors on a spreadsheet, and after a month of this, I went to the doctor with him, handed him a copy of the spreadsheet, and said I wanted him on another medication. Now.

Hubby took Ritalin for years, and recently felt it wasn't helping. Doctor started him on Vyvanse. So far, I'm pleased with the results.

JRC

This is the list of potential ADHD medications that my son's doctor shared with us. Some are stimulants and noted.

Risk = triggering effect for bipolar; Reward = efficacy for mitigating ADHD symptoms.

Hope it helps:

-guanfacine or clonidine (alpha-2-agonists) LOW RISK, LOW REWARD

-strattera MEDIUM RISK, LOW REWARD

-different stimulant (metadate, dexedrine spangles) HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD

-vortioxetine (aka Brintellix, new antidepressant which in testing for FDA approval for ADHD) HIGH RISK, MEDIUM REWARD

-modafinil (aka Provigil, can be cognitively enhancing) LOW-MEDIUM RISK, MEDIUM REWARD

-memantine (aka Namenda used for Alzheimer’s but can emerging evidence for attention) LOW RISK, POTENTIAL HIGH REWARD ACROSS MOOD, ANXIETY AND COGNITION