Non Verbal Learning Disorder....Neuro Psychologist testing

troubledheart

I haven't been on in a while, but with school starting tomorrow and us going thru a Neuro Psychologist for testing, I am stressing myself out. After a rough end to the school year and hospitalization, along with medications that were messing with his heart, we have decided on seeing a neuro psychologist. We go for a 2nd round of testing in 2 weeks...

The doctor is thinking Non Verbal Learning Disorder, definately no ADHD and possible anxiety/depression. After extensive research on NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) I am unsure of what is next. It seems that everything I have been doing for him is not what is right. I am very confused.

Does anyone have experience with NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD)?

BusynMember

I have a severe NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) (verbal around 120, performance around 85). Basically this means your verbal skills are way better than your ability to perform. Often it is frustrating as you sound so intelligent and then you are given a task, sometimes an easy one, and can't do it. At least, this is what it has been like for me. My deficit between verbal and performance are more severe than most people though.

lmf64

My son also has severe global learning disabilities. He was diagnosed with NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) in May of this year after multiple diagnostics had been used. The latest set of tests found his verbal IQ 91 with processing IQ 62. The doctor recommended a few books, but I haven't taken the time to check any of them out yet.
Nonverbal learning disabilities at home: A parents guide by P B Tanguay
Noverbal learning disabilities at school: Educating students with NLD, Asperger Syndrome and related conditions by P B Tanguay
Bridging the gap: Raising a child with Nonverbal Learning Disorder by R V Whitney
She also suggested some websites

www.nldontheweb.org
www.nlda.org
Like I said I haven't really checked any of these out (actually just came across the website recommentdations while I was typing this up), but if you find any of them useful please let me know.

Chin up, we can make it through this together.

jcox

My son E also recently got diagnosed with Nonverbal Learning Disorder during his neuropsychologist. The neuropsychologist did a great job explaining what it is in his report:

"For E, verbal problem solving was a relative strength, while visual reasoning was a pronounced weakness. This pattern was suggestive of an emerging Nonverbal Leaming Disorder (NLD). E's IQ testing indicated varied cognitive skills, with abilities ranging from very delayed (well below average) to the low average range. E did not bring his own organization to visual-spatial tasks, and while his language skills were a relative strength. This profile was consistent with an emerging Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NLD). NLD is a neuropsychological syndrome that typically includes weaknesses in visual-spatial processing, delays in fine motor development and visual-motor integration, sensory integration problems, social-cognitive problems, rigid thinking, and inflexible patterns of behavior. Specifically it should be considered that E's inflexibility sensor, sensitivity, anxiety, and tendency to become overwhelmed occur in the context of NLD."