Northern Tier States/Northern Great Lakes

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Batten down the hatches friends, we've got our first winter storm coming in Monday. Here in N.WI, they are calling for up to a foot of snow and high winds. Temps will then drop into the 20s due to an Arctic Blast.

I am fighting a cold and put off going out for groceries today. This means that I HAVE to go tomorrow when a: the stores will be busy as it's Sunday and b: The stores will be even busier due to the incoming storm.

They are talking about blizzard conditions and poor driving conditions Monday. Please be careful, stay off the roads if you don't have to go out, and be sure not to overdo it shovelling.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Stay safe GN! In our part of Wisconsin they are calling for mostly a rain/snow mix, however, they said the line could still shift south which would result in more snow for us. Ugh!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The warning that popped earlier this AM is now calling for up to 16" of snow!

Ugh! From the maps it looks like this is a fairly isolated event and mostly restricted to the Northern half of WI.

Hopefully you folks won't get as much.

BusynMember

GN, I am in your area so I saw that. I *think* we will miss it. We usually get off by a hair. But no guarantee. I'm really not ready for this degree of snow yet. We are considered North Central, I believe. There was snow on the ground this morning though. Not a lot, but annoying in of itself :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
MWM, yeah. I know where you live and it does seem like you are right on the "snow line".

Hopefully you'll miss the worst of it. I ran out to Home Depot and managed to get some salt for my stoop and steps. I have a plowing service that does the driveway for 15 dollars a pop.

I still am trying to get motivated to go to Wal-mart and get some groceries.

It looks like Northern MN will get it, too.

We've already got about 3" down up here. It's been snowing off and on since early October. Luckily most of it has melted off, but this one'll stay with us. I doubt will get warm enough for long enough to melt off this kind of snowfall.

BusynMember

Yeesh!!!! Right now, the snow melted her. Right now...no guarantees for later. My husband says Adams county is the dividing line. Usually Adams gets hits hard too. We are almost always on the edge and hoping we get passed over and, for the worst storms, we usually do.

I was at Walmart earlier and people ARE snapping up boots, and other winter stuff...lol. I got mine a long time ago :) I remember the one time I didn't...nothing was left in the stores! Better early than unable to buy, is my motto.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm all set for winter clothes other than needing a couple more pairs of sweatpants.

Up here you can't really find winter clothing after about September. I have my collection of Ugg boots and am set for several years with those. Got a good winter coat last Fall, have hats and gloves and all of that.

Last time I was in Wally World, they had the last of the winter coats on sale for next to nothing.

We have Kohl's up here and I do most of my clothes shopping either there or at ShopKo. I don't do well with clothing from Wal-Mart. Not only does it not hold up, but it doesn't fit well, either.

Are you actually in Marathon County or are you in Forest? I'm in Oneida.

BusynMember

I hate Walmart clothes. I may get gloves there or even house slippers, but I don't expect them to last long. We have Shopko here too and I like their sales. Aside from sales, I really, really like the clothes, but they are high. We also have a Penney's. That's about it for our smallish town. To get a good variety we have to drive to Stevens Point or Wausau.

I also shop at Goodwill, where I work. We get some really nice stuff in, it's good brands, the stuff we put out are like new or very gently used a nd I get a significant discount. So I got two very good pairs of shoe boots and have my eye on some Ugg boots that came in that we priced at $14.99. I have my long underwear with fleece inside...lol....and I'm good to go :) Another Wisconsin winter...here we come, right??? :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
MWM, so far the snow has slowed down but is supposed to pick up again later this afternoon. We've got about 7" down so far.

We have a Goodwill in town, quite a large store, in fact. Unfortunately, they are very expensive and since this is a "fat town" (I'm one of them), the selection of larger clothing sells as soon as it hits the sales floor.

I haven't had good luck with used footwear. I have very narrow feet and have a horrible time finding shoes.

LOL about the long underwear. I splurged several years ago and got SILK longies. Very light and warm even if wet. They do have to be hand-washed, but dry fairly quickly.

I also have cotton thermals, and if it's very cold and I have to be out in it (like when my dog was still around), I'll wear both the silks and the thermals.

I've also been known to wear a pair of sweatpants UNDER my regular pants.

We get so cold in the winter, especially with windchills, that fashion sort of goes out the window(not that I've ever cared).

Yes, another WI winter, and this one is starting with a bang.