Not all dealings with the court are bad!

Kathy813

Staff member
Some of you may remember that easy child got a speeding ticket on her way back to school about a month ago. It was in a small rural county about an hour north of where we live (think Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show as a frame of reference).

The county requires anyone 18 and under who gets a speeding ticket to appear in person. So easy child came home from school last night so she and husband could go to court this morning.

husband said that the judge was a little old lady who looked like a grandmother. She explained that the county had had two recent teenage fatalities due to excessive speed so they were trying to be proactive and requiring teens to appear in person so they could talk to them.

She gave easy child a sweet but serious lecture about the dangers of speeding. husband said easy child was on her best southern child behavior with "yes ma'm and no ma'm" answers (which I would have loved to see since easy child does have a dry sarcastic wit and can be a smart :censored2: at times).

The judge gave easy child a continuance until after the college semester ends to take a defensive driving class (an additional $75 that easy child will pay ~ not us). After she sends in the paperwork showing that she completed the class, there will be no points on her license.

So I think that means we will not have an increase in our insurance.

I hope the judge's talk made an impact on easy child. She does tend to have a lead foot.

~Kathy

skeeter

My oldest has had one speeding ticket. Since he was under 18, I had to accompany him to court.

The judge started out by asking NF the circumstances of the ticket. Where was he picked up (at the bottom of a very large hill). What was he driving (my car instead of his truck that wouldn't have been going as fast down that very large hill). What was he coming home from (formal dance at school).

The judge asked again what road NF was caught on - then the judge slighly winked at me.

He proceeded to ask NF about his life, but the way he phrased the questions cracked me up. "Where do you work?" (not if). "Where do you go to school?" "Where do you go to church?" "What extracurriculars do you do?" "What do you have planned when you graduate" (this was a good one because NF had already signed the papers for the Navy).

NF was in his best "customs and curtesy" mode from Civil Air Patrol.

He got off with the lowest possible fine ($23 and court cost) and the points were removed when he turned 18. The insurance company didn't pay any attention to it at all.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I'm a bit of a fanatic about teens driving in a reckless way. I told both boys while learning to drive that I would hate for them to carry the burden of guilt the rest of their lives if they should hurt or kill someone. Their lives will never be the same. It's worse that being injured themselves. Imagine having to tell a mom that you killed their child because you were driving fast or under the influence or recklessly.
Guess they got it. They are pretty cautious. They have had small accidents but it is more from inexperience.

I wished that more kids got the idea that their driving could scar them for life.

I'm glad the kids can get a second chance.</span>

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #000099"> .....and because she is easy child she will take the class & send in the paperwork.

good outcome, kathy.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

ScentofCedar

I agree with Kris ~ the lesson will come through for easy child, and the outcome will be a good one.

:smile:

That's nice, Kathy!

Barbara

P.S. I always think of easy child at the M&M factory in NYC when you write about her, Kathy.

Or, the Prom experience you shared with us.

:flower: