Not Getting My Hopes Up

Bunny

difficult child came home from school yesterday and asked if he could talk to me. That usually isn't a good sign, so I put aside what I was doing and asked him what was up. He said that his culinary teacher, Miss E, was telling the class about a cooking competition and that he told her that he was thinking about entering, but he needed to talk to his mom first. What did I think? I acknowledged that something like this is way out of his comfort zone, but that I thought it would be a good experience for him. I also told him that I'm sure that if he entered Miss E would want to work with him (and any of the other students who choose to enter) outside of class, which would probably mean staying after school and working on what he was going to do.

He said that he asked Miss E for more information about it, and she said that there would be an information meeting, but she was not sure when it would be yet. Then he said to me, "Well, just because I'm asking about it doesn't mean I'm going to do it, and if I decide not to you better not try to talk me into it!"

While I would like to see him do this and expand his horizons a bit, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

InsaneCdn

Bunny, even just TALKING about it is expanding his horizons.
difficult child kids often have to think about things for a long time, try them on in their minds.
Mine... sometimes didn't take "this" one, but the brain was more open for the "next" one.

SuZir

He is not only thinking and talking about it, he is actively asking information. That IS a lot. Even if he ends up not doing it (and you really shouldn't push), it does indeed broaden his horizons and he is more ready to take the next step next time when an opportunity like this comes up.

I know I have spent countless hours trying to encourage (and listening endless what ifs) my son to even ask about something he really would like to do.

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
Sometimes our difficult child's can surprise us. With mine it was that he wanted to join Knowledge Bowl. It's good you are not pushing and just neutrally providing him with things to think about. Like the others have said, shows he is becoming more "open" to opportunities!