Not getting the help he needs in school...

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by anmari75, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anmari75

    anmari75 MaMa2_3Munkeyz

    My son was finally able to go through and get the neuropsychologist evaluation and was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, ADD, mood disorders and nonspecific learning disabilities.
    He has just started counseling and has an IEP. He is in the 8th grade.

    My question is this...
    His IEP states that he is to have push in help rather than pull out so he doesnt miss class and that he will have longer times to get his work done and so forth.

    He says the push in person doesnt actually work with him...just moves about the class and asks if he gets it (he wont say no cause he doesnt want to be singled out) so he is actually not getting help. and if he misses some part of homework they keep him after school for almost an hour every day.

    he is frustrated and so am I. is there a way to get the IEP modified already (we just redid it when school started last month) and to make sure they are enforcing there part?
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Yep, you need to request another IEP meeting and they have to hold it within a certain period of time. You could write out your concerns and proposed solutions you'd like tried in the meantime. If you get any recommendations from therapist or anyone else in the meantime, those are useful, too. If you research the specific issues/struggles he's having you can usually find suggested accommodations to try online or on this board.
  3. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    I don't see how they are not doing their part. In fact, I see them going above and beyond. Your son doesn't want to be pulled out of class for help, so they offer him in class help which he refuses, so the teachers are staying after school (likely on their own time and dime) to help him.

    My only suggestion would be to have your son develop a non-verbal signal to the resource teacher that he needs help (i.e. two pencils crossed on the desk; left hand on right shoulder). If he makes the signal, then the resource teacher comes and helps him without asking if he needs the help.
  4. anmari75

    anmari75 MaMa2_3Munkeyz

    thank you for the input...
    the pull out is not an option at their school because they feel it disrupts the childs classroom schedule. as far as the afterschool program it is not just for him it is for the entire school...mandatory if missing an assignment.
    as far as the signal that is a good idea that i ill discuss with him. it has just been a long road with him and getting him services. he was taken off his IEP in 6th grade and it was hell trying to get him back on it. just wanted to see what suggestions of other accomodations were out there for kids on IEPs.
  5. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    As klmno indicated, you can call an IEP meeting at any time.
  6. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    If the child needs this, it can be put in the IEP no matter what they say. I know....they will come up with everyhting possible to avoid it.
  7. anmari75

    anmari75 MaMa2_3Munkeyz

    ok thanks...what are some other accomodations that are usually done with these kids. i dont want things handed to him but I want him to feel that he has a chance at success and that his school as well as I am right there helping him.
  8. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    Is he not understanding what is being taught? Or does he understand it but can't get the work done as quickly as the other kids?
  9. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I pposted a couple of links about issues at school on the thread "bipolar classification". If you look thru them and follow the link further to "the model iep" it might give you more idea. The problems these links cover are the more typical ones for kids with mood disorders and you need to tweak each iep to address your schild's specific issues but this might help.
  10. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member


    question - you say that he has to stay after school because he is missing homework/part homework assignments. Does that mean that he is not understanding fully what the teachers says? Not able to write fast enough? Not enough time for him to write the assignment before switching classes? What? I take it this is a private school?

    I would suggest adding to the Modifications and Accomodations section of his IEP under "Content Area" (in other words, not under behavorial or enviornmental) "Written class notes and homework assignments". This can be accomplished many ways. If he has the resource person in the room, that person can be responsible for writing down homework assignments in his agenda each and every class. The teacher could provide written homework assignments on a daily or weekly basis. Insofar as the classroom notes, the teacher can provide your son with a copy of the notes for class that day, or assign a student note buddy whose notes get copied at the end of class every day. This really helps with a child who is unable to listen and write at the same time.

    If your son's IEP calls for a longer time for completion of work, then it needs to be spelled out how much longer. Why would he be kept after if his work is not being completed in the same time alloted for the other students? That goes against his IEP. Spell it out something like this "extra day for lengthy written assignments/over one page" - or alternatively, for math homework he could be assigned just the odd numbers rather than 1-20. These mods/accoms need to be spelled out.

    It is easy to lull a parent into thinking they have a great IEP by putting "extra time for assignments" but not stating what that really means. difficult child needs to know what the expectations are.

    A couple resorces for you are the ldonline website, the FAPE website (which has fabulous information on accoms/mods), or the website (also a great source of information for specific accoms/mods by disability.

    It sounds as if your son's school does not have resource room. My difficult child's school doesn't either. They use the collaborative method where a Special Education teacher is in the the classroom with the mainstream teacher. It can work very well, or it can fail as in your son's case. Obviously the Special Education person is not tuned into your sons needs. I would make sure that person(s) is present at the IEP meeting as well and you spell out your expectations of the assitance your son deserves.

    I hope this information is helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.