Not going to believe what wandered into my yard the other day

DammitJanet

a new dog!

And not just any dog...what appears to be a toy or miniature dachshund. He is solid black and friendly as can be.

We thought he had to be a neighbors dog but he has no collar and Cory walked to every neighbor within walking distance and they all said no, he isnt theirs and they hadnt seen the dog before. Its puzzling.

Its like he was just dropped off here and said, I want you to be my momma...lol. He gets along with the other dogs and snuggles in bed. I am calling him Oscar. As in Oscar Mayer Wiener...lol.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow -- poor little guy! I wonder how he got there? Are you up for an addition to your family, Janet?

DammitJanet

I assume he is ours now...lol. I am a sucker for a tiny face. Unless someone comes along and claims him, I guess he is ours. Even big bad Tony is petting him...lmao.

donna723

Congratulations on your new baby! Janet, he probably WAS dropped off there! If your area is anything like it is here, the rural neighborhoods are the favorite place for cruel, heartless people to dump their unwanted pets ... they're just so confident that some kind hearted person will take them in and take care of them. I HATE those people! Your little Oscar was one of the lucky ones. The others get hit by cars or they starve to death, or they get bitten by snakes or insects, or any one of the other horrible things that can happen to them! Freebie, my little mixed breed, was dumped near my house ten years ago when I lived in the country. She was just a puppy and was almost starved to death and half frozen when she came in to my yard. Her initial vet care cost me a small fortune, but it was seeing all the others that broke my heart! I just couldn't take care of them all. And even though we have a nice county-run animal shelter now, people still drive out in the country and drop off their unwanted pets!

My nephew has a little dachshund named Oscar too! It sounds like your Oscar was very fortunate to have found you, and maybe you were fortunate to have found him too. He sounds like a little sweetheart and I hope he brings you lots of joy and happiness. Dogs seem to know which houses to go to, where they will find help. Maybe they go where they know there are other dogs, I don't know, but they seem to have an instinct about it. Enjoy him! He sounds like a little doll!

witzend

Did you take him to see if he has a chip? You don't want to get too attached only to find out later on that his owners have been missing him. Most any vet will run a scan on them for free. If you've done that and checked the papers and found nothing, he came from your guardian angel!

susiestar

Roll With It
What a lucky doxie!! They make great family members, in my opinion. Checking for a chip is an excellent idea. You might want to call animal control or the humane society to see if anyone has posted about a lost dog. Around here if you find a stray and decide to keep him animal control will often pay for all or part of spaying or neutering. They also may do the first shots and wormer for free or very little. It is NOT advertised or even talked of much but they would rather do that than have you drop the animal off or call them to come and get it. They will also scan Oscar for free for the chip. (I found this out when we got Capn Morgan because another lady was asking about it.)

Getting the chip status checked out is crucial. It would break your heart to learn about it in a few weeks or months. Getting him chipped is usually inexpensive and is a great idea. Even if you don't pay the maintenance fees to keep your address updated in the database the chip will still have your name and address and vet listed. If you don't move the address you gave when the chip is inserted will stay in the database forever. If you do move, the vet will have the new address and if the dog is ever scanned they will call the vet.

I have always wanted to chip my kids. It just seems strange to me that we spend money chipping pets and even livestock but our kids cannot be chipped. I know all the arguments about privacy and freedom etc... I still want my kids to be chipped. They can take them out when they are grandparents. I would have it done myself if it would make my loved ones feel better. I have a friend who tried really hard to get her kids chipped. One of her friends is a veterinary surgeon. It took a couple of years for the vet friend to convince my other friend that it is illegal for her to chip her kids.

Enjoy Oscar and give him a belly rub and ear scratch and a nice chew chip and a snuggle and a treat from his Auntie Susie! Auntie Susie wuvs her Oscar doggie, yesh she does Oscar is such a sweetie doggie!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Dachsies make excellent pets, but some of them can be bad about guarding food or toys, so be sure to work with him on that. In addition, they can be hard to housebreak (I speak from experience; I fostered two of them and could get neither of them reliably housebroken)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
This could very well be Oscar's lucky day...still, I agree with Witz. I do hope you'll check to see if he's chipped and that you will contact the local shelters, newspapers, and vet offices to see if anyone has reported him missing before you get too attached. I think in PA you have to put a "Found dog" ad in the paper for at least 5 days before you can claim him as yours. Unfortunately you don't have any witnesses of a "drop off" so there's no telling how he ended up in your yard and someone could be heartbroken looking everywhere for him. I hope this has a positive conclusion for all of you.

Suz

skeeter

Just a word of warning - I had a "hot dog" growing up. Hildie lived to be 18 years old!!!! Which was about 17 years to long! :)

Lothlorien

Skeeter, you are bad!

I also had dachs growing up. Congrats. I agree about finding out if he's chipped. It is a little odd that no one knows who he belongs to. But if no chip, what a lucky dog!

DammitJanet

We are going to call the pound and take him to a vet to check for the chip on monday. Our pound is not a humane society but I will ask about what services they offer. I cant drive him all the way there because its on the other side of the county and about a 25 mile trip. I will just call and ask them.