Not Smoking!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's been six months now since I had a cigarette.

It hasn't been easy. I started smoking back when I was in high school. I had a 2-3 pack a day habit.

Yeah, I did put on some more weight, but you can't really tell smoking quitting weight from the fnorking 60 or so lbs I put on from having the take BiPolar (BP) medications.

I figure if I can quit smoking, most anyone can. I used the patches until I started having allergic reactions to them and then switched over to using the lozenges.

A warning, I don't think you ever get over nicotine addictions; I still get cravings though they are milder and further apart.

LittleDudesMom

WOW!! That's fabulous! It's on my list of goals for this year as well. I've cut my daily intake in half - I do a little trick where I keep an empty pack, and every morning I put an allotment of cigs in there. When they are gone, I'm done for the day. So I started doing half what I normally smoked during the day. Monday I cut that about by a 1/4 for a week. I am hoping to cut the cravings by nuturing them a little.

Since I'm also trying to loose weight, I just didn't think I could do it cold turkey.

I'm so happy for you. Think of the health benefits and the money you are saving! Congrats!!

Sharon

M

ML

I'm so proud of you! I have a lot of smokers in my life and I know how hard it is. You rock!

trinityroyal

Good for you, GN. It's a huge accomplishment.

As for the cravings, I don't know if my personal experience can be generalized to other people, but I found that the cravings did eventually go away.

I tried my first cig at 8, started smoking in earnest at 13, and quit at 25. It took about 6 years after that for the cravings to go away, but go away they did.

I guess the saying "time cures all ills" has some merit?

DazedandConfused

I've been smoke free for thirteen years now. I started VERY VERY young. I never was a heavy smoker, but when I craved it the cravings were strong. I quit a few times-once for a year.

Anyway, there are days that I still miss it. It's rare, but it happens. Mostly, though, I'm delighted to be free of them. At first, when a craving would hit me, it was like getting punched in the stomach. I get reminded how I might smell, or my kids, when a student comes up to me and completely REEKS of cigarettes. The smell actually makes me dizzy now.

For me, I didn't use anything to help me quit. I just told myself that smoking (even ONE drag) was just not an option anymore. If I was stressing, I had to find something healthy to do to calm me down. Some days.....it was really hard.

So, good for you! Sending to lots of positive vibes that you stay smoke free!

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
You're my hero!:bravo:
I need to quit (again) too.. I'm determined that the next time will be the last time. I've been cutting back too. I don't smoke all day while I'm at work, just a couple in the morning and 3-4 in the evening. The weekends are killer though!

I've used the patch before with success - I need to get a box. I tried the gum years ago and it gave me heartburn. Did the lozenges bother your stomach at all? It's going to take determination - husband is a smoker and probably always will be...which is why I've ended up giving in to cravings every time I've quit in the past. I'm hoping if I can do it long-term it will motivate him to quit too.

Keep up the good work Kat!:yourock:

Genny

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The lozenges didn't really cause me heartburn and I have reflux disease as it is.

Like the gum; they have to be used per the instructions on the materials you get i the package. It's not like sucking on a coughdrop or similar.

tiredmommy

I quit almost 12 years ago and still occasionally have a craving. The thing that helps me to not smoke again is that I had horrible withdrawal symptoms when I quit and I never want to go through that again.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Not wanting to go through the withdrawal again is another motivator for me to stay a non-smoker.

I'm afraid that if I start smoking again; I'll never be able to quit again.

Plus, finances are a big motivator. Taxes up here are going up yet again. I can't afford to smoke and I do not leave room for it in my budget.

mom_to_3

Yea, for you!!! You'll be glad you did it for sure. I was an avid smoker for too many years. I really, really loved smoking, probably would today if I was a smoker. On 2/3 I made my 2 year mark of quitting. Occasionally, I'll see someone smoking and think to myself, hmmmmmmmmm, that would be good. And then I quickly dismiss that though! Then I'll get around a smoker and I want to GAG all I can think of is.. smoker, smoker, smoker. The smell is horrendous to me now. OMG, really. The smell factor is my motivator for sure. The weight gain has been a real downer, and I've yet to straighten that out. Good for you and all the "quitters"!

ScentofCedar

Wow, Going North.

That's quite an accomplishment.

:)

I quit and quit, but I always go back to it. Six months is a good, long time. Hang in there.

Barbara

M

ML

My husband is picking next Monday to quit. He has been smoking heavily since he was 15. He has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) :(. Wish him luck.