Not Sure What to Think of This?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was talking with my Mom on the phone last night. She lives in Illinois, where I grew up.

She told me they're having epidemics of both whooping cough and.....now this I'm finding it a wee bit difficult to believe.......smallpox??

Now I don't question the whooping cough. We had a minor epidemic of it here last year and the year before. But small pox? Don't you think that one would hit the news?? So I questioned her quite a bit, and yes she swears it's small pox and not chicken pox.

Now I'm pretty sure I've learned on my own and thru school that small pox is still out there, although no where near the threat today that it used to be. Cases of it still do show up on rare occasion. (I'm thinking of more under developed countries)

I think she's confused. Because then she said that she had to check my brother's old vaccination records to see when he'd had his shots because they're making people get re-vaccinated.

Now, I've had 3 kids. And I don't recall a single vaccine for small pox. Granted, I've had a brain injury, so my memory can be like cheese cloth at times. But surely I don't recall it, nor do I recall that being on the list for grands vaccines.

So I think somehow Mom is mixed up. I just am not sure how. lol I kept asking her if she was sure she wasn't getting it confused with chicken pox, and she kept insisting she wasn't. I still think she's confused it, yet she's a nurse, so really shouldn't have. And she has a friend who works for the Health Dept. :faint:

Anyone from central Illinois got a clue as to what she's talking about??

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Whooping cough, yes. But I cannot find any mention of a smallpox outbreak, and I KNOW that would be all over the headlines. There is concern that terrorists could potentially use bioweapons, including smallpox virus, to wreck havoc on an unsuspecting and unprepared US population. This topic has been in the news for many years.

Star*

call 911........call 911
DON'T TAKE ANY BLANKETS.......it killed my people!

Don't take any chickens either.......Minerva likes her home.

Why don't you look up the CDC in Atlanta on the web and see what they have to say about Illinois? Then copy and past to your Mom.

She could be right - ya just never know about Moms. :surprise:

F

flutterbee

We've had whooping cough break-outs here several school years in a row. Last year, it was MRSA and they actually closed some schools for a few days to do disinfecting. However, small pox would be all over the news.

I think she's confused.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, I don't have a brain injury and my memory can be like cheese cloth at times too!

I do recall something being in the news about small pox last year. Not about there being an epidemic, but about the chances of a resurgence epidemic. And the resulting evidence proved that it was highly unlikely.

Whooping cough, definitely. More and more people are skipping the pertussis vaccine due to side effects in infants (I stopped after the first one with easy child and difficult child never had it) and as a result whooping cough has made quite a comeback in the last 15 years or so. difficult child had as a baby often and ended up under a tent at the hospital. Serious stuff.

Lothlorien

Whooping cough has been breaking out quite a bit. We've had several cases of it, here in NJ. No smallpox...that would be a complete disaster. I do wish they would continue to vaccinate for it. It's scary to think that it could be used as germ warfare.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks guys. I'm going to check into it more when I've got some time. But I'm guessing she's somehow mistaken chicken pox for small pox.

But like Star says, you never know with Moms. lol And that county is nortorious for not reporting health threats of any kind. But I'm sure any outbreak of small pox would find it's way to the news.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay you know me and germs.....the WHAT IF factor just vaccinates me. Smallpox still exists - it was and has been used as germ warfare. So it's a great idea to be vaccinated.

Here you go - there are NO known/reported cases of unvaccinated smallpox since 1980 (I think the report says an unvaccinated cook (COOK OMG:surprise:) in 1980 in Somalia) here's the link. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/830328-overview

I also checked the CDC - nothing there.

There are occasionally REACTIONS to smallpox vaccines - and they are horrible,,,but send your Mom the link - tell her that we do worry, did take her concern seriously (more than she'll know ;)) and there are no cases of smallpox.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Star! :D Very helpful. This should releave her mind.

And I do certainly hope it is never used in germ warfare. *shudder*

Hugs