Not the usual October

Wiped Out

Staff member
October is usually a horrible month for difficult child. We've never figured out why but usually starting right around the 1st he starts to lose it. He definitely seems to be more easily agitated right now and his anger seems right near the top. The good news is he doesn't seem to be holding on to the anger as long and is not directing it in a violent way right now (although you can see he has been tempted). My ears hurt from all the swearing and my heart hurts some (I try to not let it bother me for the most part) from the almost constant verbal abuse but he is NOT being violent! For him this is huge.

Also husband heard from his principal that difficult child's principal said they are really pleased with how difficult child is progressing. I'm really pleased that his case manager seems so on top of things. She called with a message that difficult child fell asleep for 1 1/2 hours yesterday. She also said the school psychologist observed him two days in a row last week at lunch being socially appropriate with other kids and it lasted the entire lunch hour. They are thinking of starting a boys group (for social skills) but feel (and we agree) that it is better if it is ocurring naturally. difficult child still says he has no friends but at least we know he had two good days.

With all of difficult child's issues it is nice to see some positives!

house of cards

I'm glad to hear that difficult child is keeping it under the line...maybe up to the line but still under it. Hopefully he will be able to build on this and once he realizes that he can reel himself back in with the violence, he will be ready to tackle the verbal garbage.

M

ML

Progress not Perfection is an element in my life philosophy. This is wonderful news :)

Nancy

That is good news Sharon. It's great that he is not holding onto the anger and not letting it lead to violence. I know the swearing is so hard to hear but it does sound like a big improvement. I'm curious to know what dose of lamictal he is on.

Nancy

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! He had a rough day today but at least 3 times I saw him refrain himself from getting violent!!

Nancy-He is on 600 mg of Lamictal daily. We tried to give it to him all in the morning but his stomach couldn't handle it and he was vomiting regularly so now he takes 200 at night and 400 in the morning. It has been a little over a month since he has been on this dosage. He has hit his max on the Lamictal, he can't go over 600 mgs.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Hmmm I find spring is normally when all h#ck breaks loose with difficult child II, difficult child I seems to vary.

Wiped Out

Staff member
AOG-difficult child's other really bad (it's all relative) is from about February til April so spring is rough too!

Jennifer-Thanks-I like your new avatar!

TerryJ2

Sharon, that's great news.
Do you think he's got SAD? Or maybe the honeymoon period has worn off at school and this is when the kids have to crack down.
That's so neat when you can see these kids actually holding back when they get angry. Makes me so proud. :)

Nancy

Sharon, I'm glad to hear he is on 600 because my difficult child was on 300 and it wasn't helping much and the psychiatrist increased it to 400 and said 300 is really a low dose. He said he can increase it to 800 based on her weight if he has to but for now the 400 seems to be working well.

I noticed the same thing, difficult child still gets angry but she is able to control it much better.

Nancy

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

Haven't heard you sound so positive about difficult child & school in a very long time.

Way To Go , difficult child ! :bravo:

Cheers, Sharon - you've done good! :wine: