Note to foodies and the Israeli posters

Sara PA

My son is in Thailand. He's doing that backpacking SE Asia thing much like my generation did Europe back in the 70's. At the moment, he's staying at an Israeli owned rooming house with an Israeli restaurant in Bangkok.

He says Israeli food is soooo good.

This caught me off-guard because my first reaction was Jewish food -- the type we get around here. Thinking about it, Israeli food must be more Mediterranean. My son said to think Greek and Middle East fusion. Sounds tasty.

Lothlorien

It might be where you live. I live between NY and Philly. Though we don't have "Jewish" restaraunts, there are a lot of Deli's, which are outstanding. I had a lot of friends, growing up that were Jewish. I find that there are some similarities between Italian food and Jewish food, as it is very Mediteranean. Some food is quite similar, even. Culturally, I also find a lot of similarities between them, insofar as how much revolves around food, family and holidays.

Estherfromjerusalem

Sara, thanks for posting that. My sister has a daughter in Thailand or somewhere like that at the moment. Masses and masses of Israeli kids do that, some for 3 months (like my sister's daughter), others for longer. After three compulsory years in the military that's what a lot of them dream of doing, just in order to be free, to feel free, with no one telling them what to do. South American countries are also popular with Israeli kids, and my sister (same one) has another daughter about to go there (can't remember exactly which country) for three months.

Amazingly, none of my children has done that sort of trip. Can't say I'm sorry.

Yes, Israeli food is good, very Mediterranean, very healthy. There are so many eating places here in Jerusalem -- I sometimes wonder if anyone does any home cooking!

Love, Esther

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Then t here's Eastern European or Ashkenazi Jewish food.

Instead of being Mediterranean influenced; Ashkenazi cooking is influenced by Eastern European countries through which Jews passed on their travels.

Think Polish/Russian/Baltic, without the pork (The poles call the goose the "pig of the Jews") and poultry and poultry fat used instead of pork and pork fat.

There still some suprising Mediterranean twists to Ashkenazi cooking, but no one would ever call it "light"<LoL>

klmno

That sounds very tastey to me! I found Thai food too spicey- but I like Greek and some Asian and Indian food. I'm not sure exactly what Isreali food would be though or where to find it here.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You can get a pretty good idea by visiting a good Turkish or Iranian restaurant. There's a lot of crossover with the various dishes.

For Ashkenazi food, visit a good Polish or Russian deli, but stick to all beef products if you go with sausages or canned/jarred meats.

Remember that one BIG difference is that milk and meat are not served together in either style of cooking.

So you can't have yoghurt dip with your gyros or koftas.

You CAN have it with your felafel (yummy deep fried balls made from ground chickpeas and spices)