Nothing like spending Mother's Day

klmno

in a visiting area of a juvenile prison. :( It could be worse, I know, and difficult child seems pretty good except for still not getting any allergy medications. They are really getting him right now (the allergies). He's figured out ways to stay out of a gang and planning strategies for the next place and spending some time doing exercises, so all that is good.

I felt sorry for most the boys though- the ones that "graduated" from the first level this week had no visitor for any of them. There were only about 8 families that came to visit, total.

The funny thing was that difficult child said at the next place he could have photos. He asked me to bring him a photo of our Dog #1, then a photo of our Dog #2, and then a photo of.....(bum, bum, bum-bum--would it be Me????? NO!)- a pretty lady in a swimsuit.

Humph.

klmno

:rofl: That works for me- it is "MOM APPROVED"!! Thank you, EW!

Thanks everyone else, too! I'm glad I got to see him- it would have made me feel worse not to. I stopped at the store on the way home and got some food for the week- ice cream and I'm getting ready to throw something on the grill.

Oh- on the way home, my car developed a squeak. The left front side squeaks around the wheel every time I'm making a left turn. Anyone know what that could be and what kind of cost is involved? It was just inspected about 6 weeks ago and no problems were found.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you at least got to see him. I am sorry it is so hard for him and you. did you get to hug him at least?

I am proud of him for finding ways to stay out of gangs and to exercise. I hope they treat his allergies soon, those can make you even more miserable.

As for the car, it could be a lot of things. The first thing that came to mind was dust on the brake pads. Or it could be something else, but it is a good idea to have your mechanic look at it.

Gentle hugs, (I am proud of YOU too - you were able to handle the visit with difficult child and that must be so terribly hard on your heart and spirit.)

TerryJ2

KLMNO, so sorry it was dismal, but you know, it sounds like he's doing really well.
I had to laugh at the photo requests. Very cute! And age appropriate.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Its great you had a decent visit. And it sounds like you are in a better place all the time.
As for the car, as Susie said, could be a lot of things. What kind of car do you drive? Reason I ask is both of my cars (a gm and a ford) have the power steering pump on the left side of the engine. You might check the power steering fluid level. There should be some details as to how to do it in your owner's manual. PM me if you have questions.

tinamarie1

Im sorry you had to spend mothers day visiting him in jail. You are a great mom for going there to see him. Im not sure I could do the same.
I hope you can find out whats going on with- your car soon.
where are you in Virginia? We are in Chesapeake if you ever need anything!

lovemysons

Gentle Hugs klmno.

Have been there done that in both juvenille and adult prison with my oldest difficult child...It can be very hard on a mamma's heart.

Glad to hear difficult child is staying away from gangs and exercising. Good for him.

Tammy

DDD

I think you will find, like most of did, that few family members show up for the juvies. It's just heartbreaking to see these "tough guys" kinda pretending they don't care tht there is nobody to see them. The same thing was true in rehab......multiple rehabs. The only one that had a high visitation rate was the private one that was more upper socio-economic and parents were required to attend weekly.

Chances are it will be an eye-opener for difficult child and perhaps you, too. Hugs.
DDD

klmno

Thanks everyone! I called my mother last night and told her. That was hard. She said supportive things, like she usually does. Now, I'll just have to wait and see if she turns around and stirs up carp. I tried to explain to her- again- that doing that really did not help difficult child any at all.

DDD- difficult child told me that the boys had a folder they had to carry around to keep their point chart and any letters in. He said he had more letters than anyone and I asked who else was writing him. He said no one but me and that he was proud to know that he had the most letters of anyone. (I've written him 1-2 times a week- mostly that was because we couldn't talk or visit for 5 weeks.)

The parole office had told me that the group homes have almost a year waiting list because many of these boys have no one or no place to go when they are released. Do most families just pretend that the kid died when they get committed? I understand the feeling- I've been dealing with it too, but I can't imagine abandoning difficult child. I want him to go to a group home as a transitional place, not because I don't want anything else to do with him.

Yeah- the boys who had graduated were in the same room eating a snack while those with visitors got to visit. They were hurt and I felt for them. I guess in many cases, if they are raised by someone who really doesn't caare much about them, it's understandable that they become angry.