NOW? Can I scream NOW?!

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by gcvmom, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    We have jumped through hoops to get difficult child 1 cleared for his bladder procedure so it could happen on the 11th.

    When my uncle called and told me his stepson may have come down with chickenpox the day after we saw them at Christmas, I did the right thing and let the urologist know. The cousin went to his pediatrician on that Monday and had labwork done to confirm chickenpox, and we were suspicious that's what it really was because 1) he's vaccinated and 2) the lesions were atypical and small in number, plus he felt fine. However, since my uncle had just gotten over having shingles, we were cautious. difficult child 1's GI doctor put him on a 5-day high-dose course of acyclovir also as a precaution. Fine.

    So the labwork came back this week and the pediatrician said he was negative for chickenpox. The urologist wants a copy of the labwork or a note from the doctor stating this. Fine.

    Uncle calls the pediatrician but they won't fax the labs to the urologist so uncle goes down and gets a copy of the report yesterday, but for some reason he didn't understand the message I left and couldn't figure out how to spell the urologist's name. So we get him the information last night.

    This morning, he calls and says he can't get the fax to go through. He tells me the number and he's got the area code wrong. I give him the right info and he hangs up. Calls back 10 minutes later and says he still can't get the fax to go through. So I have him fax it to ME and I successfully send it on the first try. Fine.

    Urologist's scheduler calls to confirm receipt of the fax but says she's confused about the report because it says cousin is IgG positive for varicella. Says she's going to check with the doctor and call me back later. Fine.

    I google IgG and it says a positive reading means antibodies due to past infection OR vaccination. Says nothing about current infection. Fine.

    Scheduler calls back and says that hospital won't let us do the procedure on the 11th because they still don't consider that proof that the cousin was NOT infectious and since difficult child 1 has no immunity and is on the immunosuppressives, we have to wait the full 21 days post-suspected-exposure to be safe. So now we are back to the 18th again! :919Mad:

    Meanwhile, difficult child 1 still feels like cr@p. I know this was his own doing, but it's affecting me, too.

    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Wiped Out

    Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Yes, you can scream now! I wouldn't blame you if I could hear you all the way over hear in Wisconsin!!!
  3. Mamaof5

    Mamaof5 Guest

    Can you have uncle send in the immunization record to them or fax it to you? Maybe that would be proof positive for them that cousin was vaccinated for it and is showing the titers (IgG is titers) for being vaccinated?
  4. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member

    This is so over the top!!! Scream as loud and as long as you need to!!! I know I would be screaming until I had no voice left!!! So sorry... Many, many hugs... SFR
  5. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    It's just so ridiculous. Thanks for letting me vent, ladies :)

    Mama -- it's not that they doubt the cousin was immunized, they are just not convinced this isn't a breakthrough event of the virus because of his dad having had shingles around him (it's been known to happen in vaccinized people). Now if difficult child 1 showed his own immunity, then they wouldn't be as concerned.

    Since I had no crystal ball :future:, and was just trying to do the right thing, this seems to have been unavoidable. Pretty ridiculous that they'd ask for a report that wasn't going to confirm anything at all... unless there's a different immunological test that SHOULD have been ordered...

    Today is another day!
  6. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    Family members are allowed to scream ANY TIME. I suggest, however, finding a fluffy pillow to absorb the sounds so you don't scare difficult child.

    I'm sorry. Somehow being a Warrior Mom requires the patience of angels. Not wasy to maintain with all the other issues that go with difficult child parenting. Congrats on passing yet another test with flying colors. Hugs. DDD
  7. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    Aaaarrrgghh! I'm screaming right along with you!!!!:919Mad:
  8. idohope

    idohope Member

    Oh yes, you have earned the right to scream! Here's hoping that the date of the 18th holds!
  9. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    I am suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling of déjà vu! We lost the spot on the 18th, and now are rescheduled for Friday 1/21 -- the same day that husband and I are supposed to go see Bonnie Raitt in concert -- my Xmas gift to him. You may recall that in August, my dad died the weekend we had tickets to see Aerosmith -- they were purchased as a 1-year belated 20th anniversary gift to ourselves since husband was unemployed the year before.

    husband sent me a text a little while ago to tell me he used to think our life was complicated, when in fact it's quite simple, and there's even an old saying about it: Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong! :thumbsup:
  10. Mom2oddson

    Mom2oddson Active Member

    :not_fair: Maybe you should avoid buying tickets to future events.

    At least with that motto, there won't be too many surprises. Sorry!
  11. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

  12. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest

    Oh man.... scream away, a group round of primal therapy or whatever they called it might be a good thing, too.
  13. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    You very much DESERVE a good round of screaming - a couple of them, in fact!

    Is the 21st the ONLY day that they can do his procedure? If there is another day within a week I would wait for that. Yes, he is unhappy and feeling yucky. It clearly is not an emergency in the doctor's view, so if it can be done a few days later, well, it shouldn't be a big deal. Or hire a nurse to sit with difficult child in case he has problems after they send him home. With a nurse you can go and enjoy the concert knowing that EVERY medical problem is taken care of. Maybe you could talk the doctor into keeping him overnight? He wouldn't need you there for a couple of hours. Most likely he wouldn't want you there because he would want to either sleep or have no one he knows (or no females esp ones he knows) know what he is going through.

    Is there any chance you can sell the tickets to get some of your $$ back if you cannot go? Maybe an ad on Craigslist? Or heck, contact your favorite charity and donate the tickets for the tax write-off. They could give them to a favorite worker or donor, or if they have clients they could give them to a client. Or they could set up a quick raffle to make $$. Heck, the PTA might be able to do that. Or if a teacher has gone above and beyond for one of your kids, and you cannot sell them, give them to the teacher. Or if husband is a boss and has an employee that is really great or has gone over and above he could give them to the employee and call it a business expense (maybe). You might even try to ebay them - I know they used to sell tickets on ebay. With ebay if you don't get the amt of $$ you want you are stuck with what you get unless you set a minimum (reserve). I would check to see how her tickets are selling before you do that though. Depending on your tax status you might be better off if you donate them to a charity for the write-off.

    It really stinks that you have to figure this out too. Talk about complicated!! Whatever did you do to make Murphy so mad??

    I did have a thought that might or might not help difficult child after the surgery. They make a medication that helps you not hurt if you have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). I know that at one point they gave it to Wiz when he was little after something involved in his urinary problems (he was born with a defect that had to be surgically fixed and the first surgery was botched horribly - but in a way that only left emotional problems, thankfully). I had never heard of it but when Jessie had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) as a toddler they gave it to her and I remembered it was the same thing. It turns your pee bright orange and makes it not burn. The doctor will likely know the name. I don't know if it will help with the pain that difficult child will undoubtedly feel after the procedure, but it cannot hurt to ask. If the doctor is unsure, maybe your difficult child can be allowed to try it so that the doctor will know so that he can help future patients? I just thought I would mention it in case it might help. This is likely going to be really painful afterwards.
  14. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Susie, that medication was probably something like phenazopyridine... it's the ingredient in Azo Gantanol that relives urinary tract pain... I remember taking that years ago when I had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) in my 20's. Thanks for that tip, I never would have remembered that!

    I'm going to continue to pester the urologist's scheduler next week in case there's a cancellation on the 18th. You just never know. If I can't get it changed, then the weekend before I'll figure out what I'll do with the tickets. Last time we "donated" the Aerosmith tickets to sister in law#1 and her husband since it was his 60th birthday that weekend and they were going to be near the concert venue that night anyway. But an actual charitable donation sounds pretty good, too! United Cerebral Palsy has given us free tickets for stuff in the past, so maybe that would be a good reciprocation to make...
  15. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Oh, and to add to my fun today...

    I had a cleaning scheduled at the dentist's office today. I'd had to cancel my last one when my dad died, so I haven't been nearly a year. I handed them our new insurance card to copy before the appointment. But as I was leaving (yeah, there's a BUT in there), the office manager told me that Aetna claims we do not have dental coverage. She even called our OLD provider MetLife to see if maybe we were still with them. Nope. So I call/text husband to ask him to check with HR. Sure enough, we do NOT have dental. But we are SUPPOSED to, because we selected the PPO coverage and it's a package deal that includes dental. :rolleyes: I give up.
  16. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Jean....hold off on giving the tickets away. Is this procedure done inpatient or outpatient? If outpatient, then what time is the procedure? If in the morning, call in the forces to help. difficult child should be home in plenty of time for you to get him settled comfortably, sitter or two available, plenty of snacks in the house...and you guys to see the concert.

    He isnt having heart surgery. He is having his wee wee rotor routered. Im sure he wont be up to doing anything but sleeping with medications anyway. (That and checking to make sure it is still there every 5 minutes!)
  17. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    HOPEFULLY it will be outpatient, although they are treating it as in-patient because there is a REMOTE chance for requiring open surgery. It's slated for noon Friday. The concert is 150 miles away and starts at 8pm. So we MIGHT be able to still swing it. We already had my mom lined up to stay the weekend while we would be gone, so that's not an issue. I think husband is feeling that it's just tempting fate to try to make it all work out the way we want, Know what I mean??

    Either way, I'm not making any decisions on it today.

    I think he and I need to go out for cocktails tonight! :rofl:
  18. ML

    ML Guest

    I will scream with you! AHHHHH
  19. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    Scream away...don't blame you a bit!