Now he is on zoloft too!

Dara

I finally spoke to the neurologist today and he is not at all surprised by Sammy's behavior. He said that some times with kids with Epilepsy and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), the seizures actually are a cover for the real behavior hiding underneath. He is putting Sammy on zoloft to control his lack of impulse control and mood swings. He said it works well with kids with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). I am nervous about it and a little sad but I will try anything at this point. I hope it works.

BusynMember

I can't remember anyone with a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) child having the child on Zoloft. Usually, it seems they are on Risperdal. I'm not sure, but I don't think they try to stop the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) stuff with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kids because it's not really Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)...it's part of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) are compulsions that people HATE. Autistic kids like their obsessions. My answer to you is, I haven't heard of many Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kids on Zoloft, but I'm not sure.

Marguerite

MWM, our boys have been tried on Zoloft, for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) component of their Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). difficult child 1 is still on Zoloft, it makes a huge difference to him. The doctor tried to get him onto risperdal instead, but it made him very fat and very sleepy, without enough benefit to outweigh those disadvantages.

With difficult child 3 - he was 5 when tried on Zoloft. It really helped - for the first day. Then the problems caused by lack of sleep began to undo any benefit. After three days of him swinging from the ceilings we took him off Zoloft. Later we tried Luvox - he got a classic urticaria allergic reaction.
We did also have difficult child 3 on risperdal, it didn't make him sleepy and didn't seem to make him gain weight, although he lost weight when we finally took him off it. It just wasn't having enough benefit to justify the cost.

Dara, I know it's scary to think of our babies being medicated so much, but you need to concentrate on what Temple Grandin calls the WOW factor. If you try a medication and don't notice much change, if it's all a bit ho-hum, then seriously consider dropping it (unless the doctor gives you really good reasons to stick with it). But if you try a medication, no matter how unusual, and you notice an amazing improvement, almost miraculous response - then that is worth keeping.

So much of the time with our Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kids we're shooting in the dark, hoping to hit something. It's a steep learning curve. I've had teachers of difficult child 3 who have told me on first meeting, "I studied Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), I know all about it," or "I have two sons on the autism spectrum, I really understand," and at the end of their first day they've said to me, "Wow! He IS different, isn't he?"
Not that they dispute the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) - it's quite obvious - but every child can be so different, which means that for so many, the medication regime they're on can also vary a great deal.

difficult child 3 goes to a drama class for Special Education kids. While a number of those kids have other disorders, or are definitely not Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), a great number are. While the kids are in drama class the parents sit in the next room drinking coffee and chatting; an informal support group. We've talked about medications and I would say about a third of the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kids are on risperdal, another third or more are on some form of antidepressant, some on this as well as risperdal. About half are also on ADHD medications (stims).

We do what works. And if you meet, like I have, parents who say to you, "And what is your opinion on those stupid parents who drug their children into submission?" then have your answer ready. You will find them. Probably in your own family.

Word of advice - don't tell mother in law about the zoloft. And warn your husband to keep his mouth shut about it as well. It will only give her more ammunition, more reasons to be unpleasant. And you can all do without that.

Don't feel bad. Feel pro-active.

Marg

Dara

I am hoping the zoloft helps. I dont want to get my hopes up yet though. It is always nerve wracking to put these little ones on such strong medications but if it helps them then it is worth it. It is a struggle to get Sammy to take the medications in the first place. He said the Depakote was spicy so we got it flavored but still, always depends on his moods. Our neuro is more trying to help with the constant mood swings and irratic behavior more thant he Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) type stuff. husband has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and we deal with it. In fact we have to set the alarm clock for 6:31 am every morning. It cant be an even number and it cant be on a 5 and it has to be earlier not later than the minute you really wanted...
Yep my son hit the jackpot of genetics!

SRL

I also know of kids with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) who are on Zoloft or other SSRI's.

I agree not to tell in laws about the Z!

'Chelle

My difficult child was on zoloft, and it helped calm his anxieties and some of his obsessive thinking that he HAD to be perfect in things he did at school. I do think he had a touch of depression, being in trouble for 3 years for things he couldn't help or understand would do that to a person. He wasn't on a high dose, but I think it made him able to get through enough school to figure out what he had to do. He's been off zoloft now for about a year, and sometimes has his moments about school but he's much better than when we started. He was older when he took it (11). He always said he never felt any different when taking it, but we noticed LOL and luckily he got more the sleepiness side effect than insomnia because he slept better when taking it, especially at first.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sorry Dara - sending hugs -

Check into a drug called Topamax - I take it for migraines when I can afford it - but it's for seizures.

Hugs

KateM

Hi, Dara, my Aspie son started Zoloft at age 6. He is still on it, with good results. It has helped his anxiety level tremendously. Good luck!