Now the OTHER Dog !!!

K

Kjs

OMG, it never stops.

I went to the vet yesterday for a refill on the pain medications for Chloe. The vet asked if she was losing weight and I should bring her in for a weight check. I cannot get her out of the car. I can help her in...but I can't get her out. No steps,,,no running, playing..it is tough.

I asked if we did not do the surgery if her leg could ever get better. He said there is a small possibility it will fuse back together, but it would then be a stiff leg. She does put a little weight on it. Maybe more like she lets it touch the ground now once in a while.

I told the vet we only give her 1/2 cup of the prescription diet dog food twice a day. I told him I sometimes mix in carrots and green beans. Sometimes some rice. (she is a big Lab. ) But he wants her to weigh 54 pounds. I cannot see her at that weight. She weighed 72 when this injury happened. Anyway...instead of biscuits I give her a carrot. Thought I was doing good. Vet said NOT to give her very much carrots or green beans or rice. Said carbohydrates and starch stimulate the appetite. Only give her 3/4 cup twice a day. Awwwwww, she is so hungry.

NOW...yesterday I noticed Kenzie biting at her tail. Non-stop. I even mentioned it to the kids. Then her tail went weird. A little sideways out of her behind. Like crooked. She doesn't hold it up and she can't even wag it. I tried to touch it and about 3 inches down from her butt she acted like she was going to snap at me. She didn't but she definately jumped. Looked for any hot spots. Never realized how thick the fur is on the tail. I do not see anything. Anyone ever experience this or have any idea's? Definately painful.

mom_to_3

Awwwwwwwwwww. I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I have no educated idea, but I wonder if your dog doesn't have some kind of nerve damage also and maybe that explains the problem with her tail? I'm so sorry, I know how hard this is. I have a little yorkie that has been having some issue's lately that we've been working on with the vet. My little guy is almost 10yrs. old. It's not easy.

KTMom91

Could be a slipped disk. Buddy had unexplained shoulder pain, and the vet said he'd hurt his back, and I had to keep him confined till it heals. Confine a Jack Russell? Yeah, right. Gave him pain medications, which I didn't give to Bud. I figured he'd take it easy if he was a bit sore. He's fine now...except for the giant collar. That comes off on Thursday.

donna723

I don't have much experience with tails because out of my three, only one has an actual long tail. But it is possible for them to break the bones in their tail, just like any other bone. And it would probably be very painful because of all the nerves running through there. My youngest Boston, Katy, has a very short tail but it was broken, probably when she was just a baby. It's maybe 2-1/2 inches long all together. It's straight for about an inch and then is bent at a perfect 90 degree angle, like a letter "L". She can actually wag it if she wants to, but it only goes from the mid-point to the left, never to the right.

And in some areas, there's ticks out already. If she has very thick hair, she could have a tick embedded in her tail and you're not seeing it because of the thick hair.