N's Birthday Party so so sad

WSM

I wonder if it would be worth while to take her back when CC is quiet and empty, like opening on a tuesday morning just to show her that it isn't the place, or her, but the combination of other factors. "See darling, it's not you and it's not the place, it can be fun here, it's just that when there are too many people and too much noise it's easy to freak out." It might give her a sense of mastery.

Frankly, your daughter sounds very mature for a 4 year old.

Alttlgabby

Awww, poor kiddo! So sorry that she couldn't go and have a good time. It sounds as though she was trying very hard at first to get through it though. Bless her heart!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
WSM we did try that prior to the party. She had been there once before.
With true sensory issues it really doesn't matter.
It is just like her bathroom issues obviously she can go to the bathroom, but if the toilet is too loud or someone turns on the dryer or yells or a bug comes in... she is off the toilet and running!
She has been going to Occupational Therapist (OT) for a long time to work on these things.
She had to take a break when we moved here.
We just found a new one and are waiting to get in.

But over time she has become desensitized to things, it just takes time and lots of work. We can now grind coffee with her in the room.
I can turn on the hairdryer.
Things like this. Airplanes are OK.
A dog is OK now, not bugs.

totoro,

I'm another one who HATES Chuck E Cheese!!! My difficult children could never handle parties at places like this either. While their reactions were different - got extremely "over-cooked," couldn't calm down, very silly, etc... and totally EXPLODED with rage when it was time to leave, I understand how hard this was on you and poor N.

Sending lots of hugs for you and N... WFEN