Nuero-psychiatric result?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
GCV was giving out numbers and I have been looking over K's slowly and reading it over.
Putting together what it all means.
I figured I will throw out info slowly and ask your input over time!

So her WISC-IV results were

VCI 121 =97th %
PRI 108 =70th %
WMI 110 =75th %
PSI 75 =5th %

FSIQ 113 =81st %

The PSI is what dropped her IQ.
She says the discrepancy between VCI and PRI is highly significant, occurring in just 6.1% of the population. Which is what raises the question of the NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD).

She also says that the huge discrepancy between the processing speed index and each of the others is so rare that each of them occurs in fewer than 1% of the normative sample. (Which would likely be all our kids!LOL)

She says this reveals the writing issues,directional confusion and visual tracking deficits.

Have you guys seen these things in your kids and does this sound about right?

It is funny but reading the links that TM gave me, make it so clear and make me hope that K might have an easier time at school now. I hope?

She saw a bunch of other huge issues with attention and tracking on the other tests but I need to read a lot more intently on them. The report is 29 pages long.

smallworld

With those discrepancies, your neuropsychologist shouldn't have even given a Full-Scale IQ score because it's just not an accurate reflection of her intelligence.

The fact that she's processing information so slowly may make her appear "spacey," but most kids with ADHD also have working memory deficits. K doesn't appear to have that.

NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) is diagnosed by neuropsychologist testing (typically Performance IQ<Verbal IQ). It occcurs in up to 1 percent of the population.

smallworld

by the way, my son, who does not have any LDs but does have a significant mood disorder (without psychosis), has a superior VCI and PRI and average WMI and PSI. This profile is consistent with a diagnosis of ADHD or depression, according to our neuropsychologist.

Last edited:

Jena

Toto i have to pull out my report tongiht and search the numbers to let you know. mine was 29 pages as well.

so long, right?? so much stuff to go through and try to understand.

SRL

Totoro, this starts to make sense of some of the things your were describing about her here when she was a wee lass. On paper she had some spectrumy looking things going on but your insight was that it wasn't Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Very often what parents of kids with NLD say is that they know something isn't right but they can't put their finger on it.

I looked hard into this at first. Check out the books Non-verbal Learning Disability at home and NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) at School. I think those are the titles--don't have time to look now.

totoro

SW
She wrote later on that the full scale IQ would not be an accurate reflection of her true IQ.

Her working memory and processing speed results fluctuated as well.
Everywhere from the 84th&#37; to the 2nd%. This was one of the huge red flag areas.

She showed spatial confusion and weak phonetic skills especially for a child who reads so well. Her visual processing was a major concern as well.

There were just too many huge gaps for it to be all Mood related. None of the issues have ever changed based on her stability either.
Basically I don't really care if it is a Learning Disability (LD), the tools would still be the same to help her. Just like we have used the tools for her sensory issues that most people use for Autism.

I am still reading her report and absorbing it all!
I agree with it. None of the purely BiPolar (BP) info has ever addressed any of these issues, nor any of the sensory processing disorder (SPD) issues. We don't care too much about the ADHD.

Thanks for all of the info!

totoro

SRL what is funny is that I said to her examiner that she always sort of presents as a bit on the spectrum and she has been the first person to really say, "I can see that!"

She really has huge issues with affect recognition, at the very low end. She has a very hard time with sad, angry etc. Social settings and appropriate behaviors in general. But these are also described under NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD).. so, hmmm.
It is al so very interesting, to say the least.