NY times Article On Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)!!!

SRL

Interesting. I had no idea there was such a wide gap between what works in practice and what has been proven through research and become accepted in the medical community. My pediatrician didn't hesitate to make the request for Occupational Therapist (OT), especially because difficult child was becoming unable to get down medications.

"Watching this therapy, many parents say, it is hard not to wonder whether another half-hour of recess would not be just as good and far cheaper. And some techniques intended to help treat sensory problems for which occupational therapists are best known, like brushing children’s limbs with a soft brush, or spinning them, have no proven benefits, researchers say."

I've often made that same comment about recess and the lack of it in older grades. In junior high we could still leave the building during lunch hour and walk around outside or shoot hoops but my son is stuck in his cafeteria seat.

Interesting comment about brushing and spinning having no proven benefits. When we were heading into difficult child's Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation we were filling out paperwork and it asked it there were any physical activities he did frequently. My husband pointed out that he'd been doing a lot of swinging and sure enough at the assessment the Occupational Therapist (OT) pointed out to me the difference in him before and after swinging and especially swinging and spinning together. We put a spinner/hook in the ceiling of the basement and fixed him up with a variety of swings because the benefit was so apparent, especially before and after stressful events such as school.

I do understand resistance by insurance companies, though, until there is research based evidence. Therapy for every kid who was the least bit sensitive to tags and tight socks would be a huge and neverending drain.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
SRL- my pediatrician was the same way. first thing we did for both girls. With N she brushes herself to help calm... we have a swing set up in her doorway also.
Yesterday when we were at Occupational Therapist (OT) with N, she swang, spun, ate something, played with some sensory things, swang again, ate something and then was going to start swinging again and started losing her speech... so she came to me and started climbing on me. She needed physical contact.

WHat was interesting is that it was like a sensory cycle, all in an hour, she went through every sensory need, she even asked to turn down the lights, and at the end when she was really done her speech went also.. and she needed me.
Me and the Occupational Therapist (OT) found it very fascinating to watch, the full cycle of her little sensory wheel. It gave us lotes of insight as to whet she needs also.
Lots of vestibular, oral, tactile, but all in short amounts. Or she gets overwhelmed and falls apart....

Hopefully the schools will continue to accept this disorder...

Allan-Matlem

Hi,
Thanks for sharing. There is plenty of research supporting Occupational Therapist (OT) and refuting other ' so-called ' research studies.
Allan