Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation For difficult child 2

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by SearchingForRainbows, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member

    I was going to hand deliver a written request to the SPED Dept. asking for an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for difficult child 2. difficult child 2 just learned to tie his shoes this fall - He'll be 16 in a few months. He has trouble with buttons on jeans. ( Up until recently, because he is so small for his age, I was able to get him pants with snaps instead of buttons.) He has trouble opening jars, plastic milk containers with twist off caps, isn't strong enough to pour milk from a gallon jug, etc....

    I'm trying to get Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) services put into his IEP. Someone suggested that having the school do an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation might help. I agree but now know that I have to be careful how I word my request. For instance, when I asked for a Speech/Lang evaluation, the school didn't formally assess difficult child 2 in use of pragmatic language or articulation - the two areas the SPED director and all Team Members know husband and I are concerned over:furious: I know I can ask for an independent evaluation, but honestly, the school puts so many obstacles in the way, that it is just easier to try to get my insurance to pay for one.

    I want the school to provide a thorough Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation with special attention given to the skills that difficult child 2 will need to live independently, such as being able to easily button his pants, open jars, use a knife, pour liquids from bottles and containers without spilling the contents everywhere, and even being able to pour from a gallon jug, etc... His hands seem to be very weak. However, he can print very neatly when he wants to. (He prefers printing because he has trouble with handwriting even though he can write and it is legible.)

    Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how to get the school to provide an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation that will address my concerns? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!! WFEN

    P.S. I need to update my sig - difficult child 2 was recently diagnosed with Asperger's and Anxiety Disorder, not otherwise specified
  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Put your request in writing via certified mail -- keep it short and sweet.

    Dear Mr/s Sp Ed Director:

    My son, XXX, has great difficulty with handwriting, buttoning his pants, pouring liquids, etc. It is requested that a thorough/complete Occupational Therapy Evaluation be conducted promptly, and that the report include recommendations to address difficult child's motor skill issues.



    With a student this age, they probably will try to stall, stall, stall. Typically, the earlier this type of therapy is done, the less the time required for therapy (equates to less cost).

    I've had the sd tell me that they just "don't do" Speech-Language therapy after a student is out of elementary. I asked for a copy of the written law that says they do not have to provide the therapy after an IEP student is out of elementary. Amazingly, they couldn't produce it. lol And yes, they did provide it. lol
  3. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member


    Thank you so very much for your help!!! I'm going to hand deliver a letter requesting an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation ASAP!!! I'm going to follow your advice and basically write what you've written. I'll get a copy of it for my records date stamped, time stamped, and signed. I don't live too far from the high school.

    As far as help with pragmatic language and articulation, I'm waiting for a call back from one of the only places in my area that takes my insurance. (If I don't get a call today, I'm calling back on Monday morning.) I'm going to provide the speech/lang pathologist who ends up doing the evaluation, a copy of the pathetic one done by the school. I'm also going to speak to him/her prior to the evaluation and let him/her know exactly what type of help I'm looking for regarding difficult child 2. From what you've written, I need as much ammunition (sp???) as possible in order to get the school to get off of its B.U.T.T.!!!

    Thanks again. I'm so glad this forum is here. WFEN
  4. Crista

    Crista Teacher

    If your son already has an IEP and has trouble with early childhood skills like buttoning, shoe tying, and other simplistic fine motor skills, I would think your school would have already done an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation. In the state, or at least the 3 school disricts I have worked in, we always do a thorough speech and language evaluation, IQ evaluation, academic testing, and Occupational Therapist (OT) - PT evaluations if the student is having difficult with fine and gross motor activities that effect their school performance. Usually we have Occupational Therapist (OT) have a dr. request and perscription for the evaluations in Occupational Therapist (OT) -PT. I don't know about the state you live in, but here we can't just take a letter from a parent, You can write one with your request, but you should have your physician write a request and a prescription for an endepth evaluation. This could be for Occupational Therapist (OT), PT, Speech anything you and the Dr. think your son needs. Remember, the school has to provide the services your son needs to be successful in school, and since he is over 14, they have to provide transitional services to help him be sucessful after he graduates. Good luck, and I hope this helps.
  5. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Crista, your school districts sound wonderful for the most part.

    The federal regulations are clear on parents' request for evaluations. In some instances it may be helpful to get a doctors recommendation, however, if your school district requires the recommendation they are out of compliance with IDEA.