Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for Sweet Pea

Ktllc

I've debated whether it was worth posting or not... So just see it as an update. There is obviously not dilemma or tough question in this post.
After the semi-annual meeting with Early Intervention, I was given a questionnaire to see if Sweet Pea should be evaluated for Occupational Therapist (OT). I did fill it out without any exageration.
Coordnator then called me to say that we need to schedule an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation.
Mommy's guts was right (once again ;) ). I'm not saying she is bad enough to qualify, but there are some red flags.
The evaluation is schedule for Thursday, and I suppose we are looking at sensory issues mainly. I am not concerned by her fine and gross motor skills.
I still want to see her as a easy child, but I am having serious doubts. I'm wondering if she is not as intense as V at the same age because she does not have the same issues, or because I know better? Time will tell.
In the mean time, I go deeper in this world of special need that I did not choose but come to understand and sometimes accept.

keista

I'm wondering if she is not as intense as V at the same age because she does not have the same issues, or because I know better? Time will tell.
Or your home and lives are already pre-structured, to cut off issues at the the pass without even realizing it.

buddy

oh wow, such an amazing mommy. I'm so glad they checked with you though and are following through. Does she go to speech in early childhood too? For some reason I thought only the private.

Most of my students??? Had their issues of course, but I still would not call them CD type of difficult child's for sure! Maybe she is a easy child-difficult child. hyphenated, not the easy child/difficult child on again off again kind of kiddo, lol....maybe we can coin a difficult child spectrum (and she can be on the mild end.... or the easy child spectrum which would put her on the intense end, lets face it every easy child has moments) Trying to make up categories here...haha.

nvts

Sometimes Occupational Therapist (OT) in the developmental capacity is simply enough to "give her a boost"...you're doing the right thing by taking the opportunity - your also great that you are hopping on the "keep her on the radar" mentality - that's where I am with the Weeble - and it's done wonders!

Well done Mom! Well done!

Beth

Malika

Yes, what harm can it do? :) Probably ALL kids could benefit from Occupational Therapist (OT), I don't know... For whatever it's worth, maybe Sweet Pea is just a "spirited child" - have you read Raising Your Spirited Child? Don't want to add to your reading list but you might find it helpful.

Ktllc

Most of my students??? Had their issues of course, but I still would not call them CD type of difficult child's for sure!
Exactly, that's why I can't call her a difficult child but she can sure throw a fit!
To be honest, I doubt she will qualify for Occupational Therapist (OT). I was even surprise the questionaire made her difficulties bad enough to be evaluated.
I am sure glad she gets the help through Early Intervention and not private therapy. It makes organizing the care SO much easier. And I'm sure it will faciliate getting school services when she turns 3, should she need it.
Malika, I would not call Sweet Pea "spirited". It's like a lot of frustration building up in her and then she explodes. She can't really tell me "Mom, I'm tired" "Mom, no I don't want a granola bar, but I'll have a yogurt", or "Mom, my diaper is hurting me". She is a great non-verbal communicator, but non verbal has its limits. Add to it a bit of sensory... and you have a good mix for an irritable toddler.
I'll let you know what happens Thursday.

Malika

I would not call Sweet Pea "spirited". It's like a lot of frustration building up in her and then she explodes. She can't really tell me "Mom, I'm tired" "Mom, no I don't want a granola bar, but I'll have a yogurt", or "Mom, my diaper is hurting me". She is a great non-verbal communicator, but non verbal has its limits. Add to it a bit of sensory... and you have a good mix for an irritable toddler.

Yes, I see... I'm stumbling around in the dark (again)... :)

Ktllc

The Occupational Therapist (OT) came to our house today. She starts with fine and gross motor skills and Sweet Pea tests above average on those. Her selfhelp skills are also a bit above average.
She then filled out a sensory questionaire and although she could not score it right away (she explained it was kind of time consuming and the computer would then draw the scores), she does not think we are dealing with sensory issues, or if any it is very mild.
She did admit to be a bit concerned by the intensity and frequency of the meltdowns. She said maybe it is behavioral... which I translate as "I don't know what is wrong".
I have to keep in mind that the early intervention teacher who has been coming every week for the last 6 months warned me that this Occupational Therapist (OT) was not specialized in sensory and tends to dismiss it.
I won't have the report for an other 3 weeks, but I will file it and keep it as a baseline for future reference.
Ms. K (EI teacher) will be coming tomorrow and I'll talk with her to see what she advise. Do I resort to private evaluation through V's Occupational Therapist (OT) or do I wait a bit longer and see how the behavior develops?
Her speech therapist expects to see a lot of growth in her speech within the next 3 months. Maybe the meltdowns are only related to communication frustration? Her Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) says that she most definitely thinks in complex sentences and is very intelligent.
Could it explain everything? I'm not sure...
I am not super worried but I would hate for things to get as bad as it did with V. After all, I had called EI when V was barely 2 and they told me that everything was fine.

InsaneCdn

Her speech therapist expects to see a lot of growth in her speech within the next 3 months.
Three months is not THAT long... and if speech is going to be really growing, and if speech is "the" major factor in the melt-downs, then you should see a direct corelation...
If significant improvements in communication leave significant melt-down trail... THEN pursue next Occupational Therapist (OT).
JMO...

PittieBoo

Hi there Ktllc- as a son with sensory processing issues you need to make sure the person evaluating your child has the SIPT training to correctly identify sensory processing disorder (SPD). SIPT stands for sensory integration praxis testing. B has been tested 3x and only when the SIPT Occupational Therapist (OT) tested him did we have a true answer. I wasted a lot of valuable early intervention time and money not knowing this!

Hope this helps.