Occupational Therapist (OT) goals and understanding of concepts.

Ktllc

We had this 6 month assessment yesterday, here are the new Occupational Therapist (OT) goals:
- get dressed on his own with proper clothes orientation (right now, he gets dressed but I have to make him aware and tell him to turmn his shirt and pants about 50% of the time).
- follow 4 step directions with no visual cues, 3 out of 4 times.
- eat with silverware at every meal, during the whole meal (still uses hands unless it is pudding, yogurt or cereals. He will use sliverware if I watch him at all times and keep on reminding him every 5 seconds)
- the Occupational Therapist (OT) and her boss will talk about a fourth goal. Maybe a behavioral goal that would relate to change, transitions or not getting his way... not sure.
It would be real nice to get those goals met within the next 6 months (his initial goals were almost all met), but I wonder if we are dealing with the real issues.
But of course, I can't even name the "real issues"! lol
His playtherapist wants me to come up with a list of things V understand and can do on his own. The goal is to understand what concepts he masters and start from there. What trigered it: every single game she offers to play with him, V does not understand. This week, she tried "Simon says" to see how he would follow directions. Problem: he could not understand that you can only execute the action if one says "simon says". V kept on saying "But you told me to do it". And we tried a lot of different ways to explain it to him (such as using a little toy representing Simon, and other things).
Here is my list: plays Hide & seek, understand that Dad works to make money and then we can buy things with money, books tell a story, we have to feed chickens for them to feed us with their eggs, water plants for them to grow, different people speak different languages, one to one concept (math), balancing concept (if he puts a heavy object on a platform, he has to counter balance on the other side), over/under, slow/fast.
Those are the only things husband, Occupational Therapist (OT) and I could come up with...
Concepts such as taking turns, least/most, number approximations, not interrupting people, feelings, letters, beat of the music and maybe more are hard for him.

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from it, if any...

Are those goals and exercices helping or just making me feel good that we are doing something??

InsaneCdn

Well, I'd be guessing that two of these are pretty big goals.
- clothes orientation - often handled with accommodations, especially at a young age: making sure every piece of clothing has the tag at the BACK or some other visual reminder of what the "back" and "front" are on a consistent basis.
- eating with cutlery - this is a majorly difficult fine motor skills task. difficult child still can't do it "all the time". When he's tired... it's just too much work. (and he is MUCH older than your V!) However, the skill-building that it will take to work on this, should also help other fine motor skills like writing/printing/coloring - all involve bi-handed coordination, timing, etc. I think "6 months" to master this might be too short... but working on it has value.

Are they doing/have they done anything in the areas of visual/motor coordination and/or real-time reactions? Metronome training? anything like that?

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
Do you think he can do the 4 step direction goal? Mine still can't, but it's one of her weak spots.

To go along with the clothing orientation, is he putting the shoes on the correct feet?

L

Liahona

Something I noticed about what he can understand is that all of those are real-life, hands on, things.

Hide and Seek - one person Goes another stays. Whole body movement involved.

Dad works to make money. We buy things with the money. - Dad goes to work. Then we go to store. Again whole body movement.

books tell a story. Sorry, this doesn't involve whole body, but he does get to turn pages. Very concrete.

Feed chickens for them to feed us- whole body movement to feed the chickens.

Water plants to make them grow - whole body movement to water plants.

Different people/different languages - I'm assuming he has met the people or seen them speaking a different lang. this would be very concrete.

one to one concept (math), balancing concept (if he puts a heavy object on a platform, he has to counter balance on the other side) - again very concrete.

over/under, slow/fast - can be both whole body movement and concrete.

I may just be grasping at straws but its what I noticed.

Ktllc

About the shoes: yes he finally puts them on the right way. It is quite recent though.
Occupational Therapist (OT) has done a bit of bilateral coordination and it is not easy for him. She does not do the metronome therapy but thought it would be great for him if we could have access to eat. She worked on turning a jump rope with V and her at the opposite end so he has to be synchronized. Exercises involving crossing the midline, again not easy.
She had been quite focused on gross motor, now she will focus a bit more on fine motor skills (to achieve the silverwaure goal). But you are right, it will help him for drawing, writing, etc... I had not realized the implications! Duh. LOL
Is a 4 step command achievable? I really do not know at this point. He gets lost after 2 usually and everything has to be VERY quiet for him to understand what is said. Once again, probably Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) issues.
Liahona, V does learn through his body. He needs to touch and feel. Probably why letters are so hard and language in general. He talks with his hands so much. He cannot talk without gestures. The Occupational Therapist (OT) wanted him to use his words only today and give her a 4 step direction (they take turn to keep it fun) and he just could not do it. When she was holding his hands, he used his feet, then his head. Of course she did not do a full body restrain. But in a way, it was quite funny. His latin side takes over. :)
But Lia, you are on to something. Maybe that's why Occupational Therapist (OT) sessions are so beneficial for him: he learns by doing. But even knowing that, does not always make life easier.

DammitJanet

To make silverware more fun did you see those cool ones I found on toys r us or was it baby's r us. I cant remember but they had a set that looked like construction vehicles.

How is he on a small bike? Just an odd thought, have you ever considered dance for him because it teaches lots of skills. He doesnt have to continue it past a very young age. Or maybe gymnastics.