Occupational Therapist (OT)

DS3

Ok, so I've been working with the ABA and my difficult child. He wanted to know what exactly the Occupational Therapist (OT) was going to work on so that way he could know how/what to work with difficult child on in that area. He needs fine motor because he is absolutely adverse to doing any sorts of handwriting.

So when we went to Occupational Therapist (OT) yesterday, I asked. Seems I'm in a different type of Occupational Therapist (OT). They are doing Neuro-Feedback. Seems cool, and I have seen improvements from the first session.

So I wanted to know if anyone else has tried Neuro-Feedback Occupational Therapist (OT) and if you had any success? ABA is going to work more on the handwriting since the Occupational Therapist (OT) doesn't do it.

For more information, this is the website for the Occupational Therapist (OT) office that he goes to. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it does, but Tuesdays are my busy day so I will hopefully have more time for research today.

Focus NeuroRehab

TIA

DS3

T

TeDo

I have heard of bio-feedback. Not sure if that's the same thing or not but I've heard good things about biofeedback. I personally have no experience with it but traditional Occupational Therapist (OT) seems to be working in our case. Good luck and let us know how it goes as things progress.

InsaneCdn

You have access to bio-feedback?! WOW!

Yes, its powerful stuff... I've been aware of it for about 10 years, used with ADHD kids to improve focus and attention... not sure which path your Occupational Therapist (OT) is on with this, but... sounds good.

Good that ABA is starting to pick up on the handwriting... however, be aware that this should be in VERY small chunks of time - 5 min or less - as there is likely a mental fatigue factor, and trying to push past that just makes things worse.

DS3

ABA doesn't even do more then 1 min with it. difficult child is so adverse to it, that he just tries to have him draw one line here and there. He got him to do 2 A's in pieces (1 line at a time) through a 2 hour session.

I had never heard of biofeedback until now. Which is why I ask about it. When I put in for Occupational Therapist (OT), I thought it would be the traditional. Not this. So it shall be interesting.

You have access to bio-feedback?! WOW!

Yes, its powerful stuff... I've been aware of it for about 10 years, used with ADHD kids to improve focus and attention... not sure which path your Occupational Therapist (OT) is on with this, but... sounds good.

Good that ABA is starting to pick up on the handwriting... however, be aware that this should be in VERY small chunks of time - 5 min or less - as there is likely a mental fatigue factor, and trying to push past that just makes things worse.

InsaneCdn

Hint for ABA or whoever else is helping him with writing...
Do NOT start with pencil and paper - it is WAY too small.

Try... pointer stick on sand, or drawing in the air.
Start with basic motions - top to bottom, left to right, circles, diagonals, other (like s and j). Get these smooth and comfortable before combining.
Use the add-a-block concept. The easiest letters are I and O. Take I and add a - and you have T. Take 2 Is and add a - and you have H.

Move from air/sand, to whiteboard, then to poster paper.
It could take a year or more to get down to fitting on "real" paper at all!

keista

Oh, Insane's post reminded me of an "easy" accommodation for writing. Part of the problem often is that the pencils and pens are so thin. They sell rubber grippie things you can put on either pencils or pens. OTs often use an even larger triangular shaped gripper.

They might already be using this for him, but you can pick some up for your household writing utensils to encourage (not force) practicing.

Personally I prefer the big fat fancy pens - just easier to hold.