Octomom is having a garage sale today..

M

Mamaof5

I'm unconventional in my mind set on Sulman (I refuse to use the media "name" they gave her). I'm sorry but it's a known fact she used her payout from a worker's comp from hurting her back in the rest bit industry at an institutional home. It's her business what she does with her money that legally belongs to her.

HOWEVER - I think she made a very $tupid mistake, it was a lapse in judgment for her to IVF like that. Again, still her business to do what she pleases with her money and no it wasn't taxpayer money, it was insurance paid from her paycheck that covered her back injury that she used for her own selfish desires (not a need).

As far as I'm concerned, none of my business what happens in her home or behind her closed front door. I find her to be a drama queen, an attention seeker and almost narcissistic like about it. Those babies deserve better and she's using them as a meal ticket which is both morally wrong and ethically wrong.

But she's not the only one being morally and ethically wrong. The media grabbed this and ran with it. Sensationalizing the lives of her but more her babies. What kind of a life will those children have because of the media sensationalizing their lives and fulfilling a selfish desire of their mother to have her 15 minutes of fame. They are enabling this woman to be in the limelight selfishly and fulfill her need to be the center of attention. I have no good things to say about Sulman but I also don't have any sympathy for the media either. I find both sides of that coin at fault for the craptastic lives that those babies will live.

Like any parent though, of course Sulman does not want to see her children on the street. She does love each and everyone of those babies. She is doing it the only way she thinks she knows how. In her case, bad parenting perhaps begot bad parenting.

donna723

With all the media hype and the donations that were coming in to her when those babies were born, she should have been able to pay cash for a house big enough to accomodate her family - how did she think she was going to make mortgage payments on a place like that? She probably can't even pay the taxes on that house! And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't where she lives in California one of those areas where a half million dollars will get you a place that looks like a broken down crack house? Of course, the whole lot of them will end up on welfare eventually, if they're not already. And getting that degree she says she's going after isn't going to help much either. I worked with people who had a bachelors degree in psychology and most of them didn't make much more than I did! You sure can't support fourteen children on that! And if she eventually does go to work, can you even imagine how much day care would cost for FOURTEEN children, eight of them babies? And if she can't pay her mortgage, how on earth is she paying for people to help her with all those children? It would be different if some of her other kids were old enough to help with the babies but they're not (not that that's good). And they said that one of the older kids is autistic! I feel so sorry for those children because they're the ones who will suffer for their mothers' stupidity!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I agree - her money to spend the way she wants but I have an issue with my tax money going to support her bad calculated decisions. Medicare paid out a whopping amount of money when she gave birth- The octuplets' medical costs have not been disclosed, but in 2006, the average cost for a premature baby's hospital stay in California was $164,273, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Eight times that equals $1.3 million.

She would have to have an IQ of a piece of lint not to know what the media would be like, and that people who live in this state where services for people have been cut drastically, especially as respects to Medi-Cal, would be upset for having to foot the bill. If she desires to be s mom to an godley number of kids - thats fine - her decision - but I should not be having to pay for it - I think actually the doctor that did the in-vitro should be footing the bill.

I don't think she is playing with a full deck of cards, and wish the state would step in and save those babies from anymore of her bad decisions -unless she is forced to deal with her mental health issues can pretty much guarantee the two day garage sale, live on the web, of mom's autographed panties and bra's is going to be pretty mild compared to the next bone head idea she comes up with. Which should be like next week as she has been saying on the news she only has enough money to last a week

DammitJanet

Unless CA is a huge difference than the rest of this country, and it may be because most of us call it the Nation of California...lol, welfare (or at least temporary assistance to families which is what most folks think of when they say welfare check) only pays for the first set of kids you arrive in their office with the first time you apply. I am pretty sure I heard that she was on welfare at some point with at least one or two of the first set of 6. Then welfare will allow you ONE more oops mistake. So say you come in with two kids because your spouse or boyfriend leaves you high and dry. You get welfare for yourself and 2 kids. Well say you think you meet mr right and have another baby. Welfare says...well ok, we will allow that one more but NO MORE! Any more and its all on you.

So I think she has been on and off the welfare wagon for a few years. These last 8 are not going to be covered because the first six got covered at some point in time. Also there is a interesting little time clock. You can only be on for 2 years at a time, and 5 years lifetime max. There are some loopholes such as grandparents taking care of grandkids but not for parents.

Marguerite

I don't know but if I can write my name on my undies and get a $100,000, they will be gone!

I agree. If I were in her shoes and had the chance to make money for my family this way I would do it.

And used undies does not necessarily mean soiled undies. Despite what a lot of people say, she has more class than that.

Yes, she has made some bad decisions. The result of some of those decisions has led to the media being interested in her, but that is not what she did what she did. She has agreed that she has made some bad choices, so she is ahead of the game as far as I am concerned, compared to other people who merrily keep making the same mistakes and never admit to being fallible. Other people make bad decisions too and we are more forgiving.

I admit to being curious about Nadia Sulman and how she and her family are coping. I believe she has changed a great deal, although there is undoubtedly a lot of room for improvement. But people can't change completely, overnight. The thing is, she is making an effort.

My brother made a lot of money over a number of years, through a mixture of luck, good investment and hard work. He took a lot of risks and we watched them pay off, despite our concerns. Then suddenly a few risks blew up in his face and he lost everything. Absolutely everything, including his own home, which he had stupidly mortgaged to get himself out of a financial hole. If he had not mortgaged the house, he could have used it to trade out, or kept it to live in despite bankruptcy. But it all went. That was nearly 30 years ago now, and he is still struggling financially. We can look back and criticise his risky choices and stupid decisions. But he is still my brother and I love him a lot. I worry over his obsession to make back his fortune, and wish he would just let go and be grateful for what he has. But at some level, he is driven. It is inside him. I can't change that. I have to love him knowing he is driven and accept that about him.

I think the same applies to Nadia Sulman. She has made mistakes but she loves her kids. She mightn't be the best mother in the world, but she wants to be and I believe is trying to be. I think this is very enterprising of her and the unique situation she has found herself in makes it possible. I actually would think less of her if she failed to take full advantage of her opportunities to take care of her family.

In years past, the state was far too ready to step in. Remember the story of the Dionne quintuplets - the state stepped in and just took over, then franchised the kids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets
With Nadia Sulman, there is no way she can avoid scrutiny, therefore no way she can do anything to those kids that the welfare authorities would not like. If there are grounds, authorities will pounce. They have not. But you can bet they are watching. So if the vigilance of official scrutiny makes Nadia Sulman a good mother, so what? As long as she is a good enough mother to be allowed to keep her children, then she should be allowed to keep her children.

How many of us have had the scrutiny of welfare authorities breathing down our necks, and resented it? Often with reason.

I hope she can make enough money at this sale, but I do worry that if such a need has happened, what is to prevent the financial problems form continuing? She would have a lot of costs to cover, especially given some of her kids have serious ongoing expensive health issues.

We do need to give her a break, I feel. Even on this. As I said, I would be doing exactly this, in her shoes. It's a brilliant way to declutter as well as make some money for the family.

But donna, I also did giggle over the maternity tent comment. Although when your preggy belly is that big, you tend to push the undies down under the belly instead of trying to stretch them over the top. If you try to cover the belly, the undies just go kazang! back under anyway.

Marg

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
So....

did anyone buy anything? Anyone going to "fess up" ?

Seriously, though - I'm willing to bet that Octomom underestimated the brevity of her fame. When the media circus started, she probably envisioned a "Jon and Kate Plus 8" type of future (and honestly, such an idea was probably discussed with her by some producer at some point). She was a "celebrity" and mistakenly thought that she was going to go on to live a celebrity lifestyle...

How sad that it has come to this.

DammitJanet

Has anyone seen the other new show Raising Sextuplets? Maybe I am one of the few (or not so few) that really enjoy seeing all those cute little tykes. I have to laugh on this show because if one of them gets a bit snippy they look at each other and say "are you going jon and kate on me?" LOL.

I really dont think they are getting paid a ton of money either because they had to move in with their parents when they moved from AZ to FL and they bought a house that they negotiated the price on and the Mom's parents bought the swingset for the kids. They also did the whole move in Uhaul vans driven by family members...lol.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I didn't go - although she is about 15 minutes or so from where I live :) It was streaming on the web - so my baser side just had to take a peek - seemed there were more photographers there than people looking at her stuff

Marcie

Lothlorien

I really dont think they are getting paid a ton of money either because they had to move in with their parents when they moved from AZ to FL and they bought a house that they negotiated the price on and the Mom's parents bought the swingset for the kids. They also did the whole move in Uhaul vans driven by family members...lol.

Or maybe they are doing the right thing by their kids and taking that money and putting it away for their kids' future.

I think Octomom is seriously deranged. If some high priced, pushy lawyer wouldn't get involved (and you know they'd be chomping at the bit to do it) those kids would have been taken away until she was stabilized.

I'm sad for those kids that she's losing her home.