ODD ... difficult child's doctor said something lots of you guys say...

buddy

While talking about various things I was saying how oppositional difficult child is at times but how the therapist thought he was so different than the kids on the unit who had ODD as a primary diagnosis (mine certainly has symptoms of oppositionality and can be very defiant at times). He said he could write that difficult child has dozens of things secondary to Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Autism, but it doesn't help much unless there is a direct treatment that would benefit him. For example, when they put anxiety then it helps to guide medicine choices, like even his seizure medication was chosen because for some people they use it for anxiety. He certainly has adhd (times 90) symptoms.

he said, actually most kids in the world could probably qualify at some point in their lives. But there are kids who they obviously do use it for, with who dont fall under other diagnosis at the time. He just prefers not to if they can help it. I said I thought it biased people in schools as well. I think the impression is often that these kids choose to be naughty and rude. At least that is my exerience. I fought so hard for a kid once who had serious langauge processing issues. The administrative staff refused to listen.

I told difficult child's doctor that in future I am going to make sure even if someone who doesn't know him as well lists that that it will never show up in school records. He has enough to put him into Special Education. his behaviors are specifically documented so, he doesn't need anyone to add stuff to divert the administration from the real issues.

Just interesting to me since it is a frequent diagnosis listed but the feelings here have trended toward just what he was saying.

L

Liahona

I think easy child 2 would qualify for an ODD diagnosis when she hasn't had her nap! ;)

Glad to have the board consensus validated.